firefox or safari

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jigglyjon, Jan 30, 2005.

1. jigglyjon macrumors member

Nov 5, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hello, I recently have been noticing alot of slowdown and my ibook, and have started another thread about buying new ram. I was tipped on using firefox, and am trying it out at the moment, but I have some questions that maybe can be answered here. I use SideTrack for vertical scrolling, and I have noticed that it isnt as smooth as safari. Is there any way to fix this? Also, i am used to pushing the delete/backspace button to go back a page, but in firefox its different, apple key/ left arrow. is there anyway to change it so its the same as safari. ALSO (EDIT) i noticed that the scolling with the arrow keys is very small amount and would like it to be a greater scroll, any way to fix?
    I changed because i noticed alot of slowdown when using gmail and ebay, and when i use firefox, it is much better, I would like to use firefox for everything else, but the vertical jagged scrolling is really annoying, any suggestions? :)
    thx in advanced to all that reply :)
  2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    Safari's sluggishness on eBay drives me nuts!!!

Apple should fix this ASAP!!!

3. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    Those little issues you mentioned are what makes me say the following to every Mac user that is annoyed with Firefox:

Camino is a browser based on the exact same rendering engine as Firefox, but was built from the ground up as a Mac OS X application. It looks and feels lovely, and I heartily recommend it.
  4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    I have run both Camino and Firefox and Firefox is much faster. Camino is slower than Safari! :eek:
  5. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    I life Safari better, its has a simple interface and it works. Sure it has its problems with some sites however for the sites I visit I don't have any of those.

I tried FireFox for a week and I don't like it, I don't mind using FireFox on a PC since its better than IE. :)
  6. operastarlet macrumors member

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm quite annoyed with the jagged scroll as well. I have both Firefox and Safari, I like Firefox better than Safari, but I use Safari more. I guess because I am used to it and all my bookmarks are in Safari. Safari has been crashing more often though so I may go back.
  7. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2003
    United States
    Depending on how fast your ibook might turn off "smooth scrolling" in Firefox. I have an old Tibook and smooth scrolling kills the scrolling ability because my video card just can't cut it. That results in small scroll incriments and bad scrolling ability in general.

I hope that might help!
  8. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

well there is a way to get all you book marks out of Safari to firefox. Export all the book marks from Safari to a file then Import them with Firefox. You can thank apple for firefox not being able to just import them like it can with IE
  9. jigglyjon thread starter macrumors member

Nov 5, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    thx to all that replied, and sorry for the double post, i thought i would get a better answer in a different area, but i was wrong :) i got some extensions that made the scrolling a little better, smoothwheel, an extension helped. thx to all with the reply.
  10. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Safari is a great browser, but I have taken to using Firefox, mainly for its ad and flash blocking features. I happen to think that flash is the worst thing ever to happen to the internet, and I detest it. If I remove my flash plugin, Safari keeps prompting me to download it.

I don't care about advertising as much, but flash advertising is simply obnoxious and often a performance drag. I believe you can do this with Pith Helmet, but Firefox is free. I doubt that Apple, being a corporation that advertises, will ever allow Safari to have proper adblocking.

Word has it that Firefox 1.1 will have many mac specific bugs fixed. The only problems with Firefox are its Unicode rendering (lame compared to Safari's) and its interface.

So macosxhints to the rescue.

I installed the Aqua Firefox set and use Arronax's superb GrApple Brazil Pro theme. You can make it brushed metal if you wish, but I can't be bothered installing the APE manager from Unsanity to use the Metallizer (sp) utility. That's enough to make Firefox a decent OS X citizen, and it is a credit to the open source movement.

It still isn't perfect, and the interface is not really as good as it could be (i.e. it's not as macish as one would like), but the good things more than make up for that.

The Livemark RSS feature in Firefox has no peer on any system. Safari RSS will probably be better, but we mere mortals have to wait for that. Putting feeds like macrumors on the Bookmarks bar gives you a quick way of browsing today's stories.

If you post on forums like macrumors the BBCode extensionis a must. No more do you have to fiddle about getting the tags right, they are all available from the contextual menu.

All in all, the best browser available on any platform with the possible exception of Omniweb 5. But OW5 costs money and runs slow on my old system, so it's Firefox for me.
  11. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    Same here, I find myself using FF more and more often these days