Firefox RC 2 is out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prostuff1, Oct 6, 2006.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Just update mine and it seems to work pretty well. I am pretty close to switching from camino to firefox. The one and biggest thing i will miss about camino is the way it displays bookmarks in the bookmarks bar. I love that about camino.

I don't think there is but i might as well ask. Is there a way to get firefox to display bookmarks like camino??

Link to versiontracker page

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure what you want except for the space wasting icons next to the text. Obviously, it's a matter of opinion but I don't find them to add anything useful.

The information is there and the bookmarks menu has been changed to include those icons so it could be a future change, though.

3. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

No, I don't care about the little icons next to the text what i really want is what camino does with bookmarks.

Example:
    In firefox if you go off the end it will add a little arrow thing to click to get the rest of your bookmarks. In camino it does not use the arrow thing and just puts them on a new line. Now this could be a bad thing if you have a million different bookmarks or don't bother to organize them. I only use about two lines in camino and for me i can deal with that.

Does anyone now how to modify or if it is possible to write an extension or plugin to make it do this.

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Am I the only person in the world using Shiira? :)

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Definitely faster overall compared to 1.5. It launches 2-3x faster. UI looks much nicer too. I'm impressed.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, but you're the only one posting in this thread. :p

I use Shiira when I need WebKit compatibility, as I've found some website that doesn't like Firefox. Shiira doesn't work well enough for me day-to-day and Safari doesn't feel good to me.

The Firefox nightlies really are going well and I think that anyone who hated it from 1.0 to 1.5 will change their opinion because it feels much, much better at version 2.0, even pre-release.

I'm am seriously amazed at the progress they've made with Flash content.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm using the G5 optimized version of RC1, going to upgrade as soon as I can. The last Extension (er, Addon) I needed has finally been upgraded to be compatible. Finally. Now I can kiss DeerPark goodbye forever, and it's hello BonEcho!

Who names this stuff?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Canadians name them. Well, at least, they'd named Bon Echo for the provincial park.

9. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

OK, thatnks to some nice people over on the mozilla forum they pointed me in the right direction to make the bookmark bar look and act like the one in camino. If it works like i hope i will probably be making firefox my main browser...at least for now.

Link to the bookmark bar change

EDIT: OK for anyone not wanting to read and take the time i will go throught he steps hear.
    1. Download ChromEdit Plus from here.
    2. Save it to the desktop
    3. Go to File<Open file in firefox and select chromeditplus-2.5.4.xpi
    4. Firefox should do the rest on installing it.
    5. You might have to restart now.
    6. When it comes back up go to Tools<ChromEdit Plus<ChromEdit.
    7. It should bring up a window with three tabs make sure you are in the userChrome.css and paste this code at the very top.
    Code:
    /* Multi-row bookmarks toolbar */
    #bookmarks-ptf {display:block}
    #bookmarks-ptf toolbarseparator {display:inline}
    8. After that restart one more time and you should be good to go.

Oh and it seems to be a little picky but it does work. I had to add another bookmark to my bar to get it to stick. You could probably delete one you have in there and then add it right back in again and make it stick.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well that explains it. Darn Canadians.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What about Minefield, a.k.a. Firefox version 3.0?

Isn't Deer Park a place in Illinois?

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That sounds kinda dumb too. Intel and MS have the same problem. Apple can come up with cool names, can't be that hard.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That sounds promising. I haven't even looked at 2 yet, but I'll be installing the release version at work, replacing 1.5. At the moment, FF is my favourite browser on Windows, but I can't stand it on Mac.

14. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

a coupla questions...

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to drag and drop an image from rc2 directly into photoshop?

Also, is there an rc2 uno theme, and does the MacOS dictionary word lookup thing work in this new version.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not much of an update (at ~700 kB), but still nice that it's evolving... :)

The Navigation bar has gone from white to the grey it's supposed to be...

Anyone else getting the "more web pages"/"more images" java scripts on http://www.searchmash.com/ to work with RC2? Works nicely in Safari/Webkit and Minefield, but doesn't seem to work (for me) in FF2... :(

1. Not into CS.
    2. Don't know. But there a lot of themes available... I just don't care for any of them. The default one is almost uno... just without aqua buttons... ;)
    3. No.

16. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Just got the update a little bit ago. I'm not really noticing many differences as of right now, but one thing I did notice is how FAST it launches. It's nearly as fast as Safari on my Mac mini, in both launching and just general feel. This is definitely the fastest Firefox has ever been, in my experience.

17. ducksrfr macrumors member

ditto. i was blown away by how fast it opened. now there are favicons in the bookmarks menu. some of my extensions don't work, but the major ones are compatible:

1. customize google
    2. adblock
    3. flashblock
    4. no script

18. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Anyone else seeing this problem? It only happens on the open of Firefox, not if you click the Dock icon after it's already been opened (as in, the black triangle is already beneath it).

Also, with a few minor problems I've come across already in the 4 minutes I've been using it, I think I'll probably stick with Shiira for a bit longer.

Not sure yet. :cool:

Attached Files:

19. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Are there any Mac browsers that allow you to third click the tab to close it, as opposed to clicking an x in the corner? I always loved that about Firefox for windows.

20. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Nevermind, Firefox for mac has it too. I'm using it now... it seems really snappy..

21. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I'm using Camino 1.0.3 build for Intel and am liking it very much. Sometimes it messes up on some myspae pages, but that's their fault. Other than that, it's an awesome browser so far.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, I've never seen that problem. Do you have Google as your initial web page?

23. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with that but it got annoying.. fast. :)

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would suggest trying other web pages as start up and if it only happens with Google, use the Help menu "Report Broken Web Site..." menu item. I'm guessing that you can specify more details but I've not used the function.

That function suggests that you describe the problem, so if it still occurs, you should let them know. I've been seeing some trouble with another website so I used the function.

Also, sadly, I've noticed that the last two nightly builds have ruined most of the progress they made on Flash integration. They must have fixed something in the plug-in adapter but it's left Flash content a stumbling mess.