FireFox saving to Desktop -> not appearing..?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thrash911, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hey good people..

This has happened more than once.. Sometimes when I save a file from the internet in the FireFox browser (I was used to that browser from Windows) to the desktop, the file simply does not appear on the desktop.. If I search for the file in Finder, it finds it in the desktop path. If I then single-click the file (in search results) it magically appears on the desktop..

This is of course pretty irritating.. Has anyone experienced this? I do hope it is a problem with FireFox, and not OS X..

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

OS X seems sometimes to not immediately refresh the contents of the desktop. I am not sure under what conditions this happens, but I've experienced it in other contexts than this one (I don't have downloads go to the desktop, FWIW; I have them go to a download files folder).

Do your files not appear immediately after they finish d/l'ing, or even if you forget and go to the desktop a minute or two later, are they still not there?

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

From what I have experienced, it remains invisible until I press them in Finder. Maybe they appear after a reboot, I have not tried that. But I think I will follow your example and dedicate a folder for downloads..

Isn't there a way to force a refresh on the desktop and in folders? Like F5 in Windows.. If there is, maybe I should try that if it happens again.

4. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Ive noticed this happen as well, I dont know about a refresh key, but if I browse through the finder to the desktop I can access the files, I can also spotlight the files, so you can access then, even if they dont apear on the desktop... :rolleyes: