Firefox scrolling so so slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mark88, Dec 30, 2006.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2004
    Is there any reason why Firefox 2 is so slow as scrolling through web pages?

In Safari or Camino(or just about any other app) holding the down arrow key scrolls me through a forum index page on this site in about 0.5 seconds. In Firefox it takes about 5 seconds. So painful

I've tried turning the smooth scrolling and it makes no difference. What's going on? is there a reason behind it?
  2. macrumors newbie

Jun 10, 2006
    indeed: why is firefox so slow on macs?

Not just scrolling: everything about firefox -- startup new tab new window EVERYTHING about firefox (even the 'optimized stripped versions from are soooooooo ssssllllllllooooooowwwwwww SO VERY SLOW. WHY?

Why even bother wi/firefox? It does some stuff safari can't (won't) and Because sometimes I am forced to use firefox because safari is still inexplicably un-usable at a gazillion sites (like blogger, and a million others).

Which reminds me: Thanks apple for once again being so slow in your own 'f*ck the loyal customers' attitudes. In so many ways apple users simply get screwed over and over and over....:mad:
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    u can always use "space" to scroll down a page, much faster.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Those complaining about the speed of Firefox version 2 are using Intel-based machines, right?

For all the speed available, there seem to be so many problems with any of those machines, Mac OS X, and the various applications.

Does the scroll bar work any more quickly than using the arrow key? Why not use the Page keys?
  5. pushka macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2009

Yes there is a fix for this.

The difference with FireFox / Safari is that Safari has "pixel scrolling" - IE, you move your finger / mac-mouse one mm / pixel, and thats how much the screen moves,
    but in FF, / older apps, - the scroll wheel in a mouse moves the page 4px etc.

there is a new version of FF that has pix scroll /

see this page for instructions -
  6. EMKarelia macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2009
    You might want to go to options on Firefox change your preferences. Or just Firefox was going through some trouble that day. Whats your internet speed?