FireFox Sorting by name: Acsending

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BuzWeaver, Jan 3, 2007.

1. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I'm able to Sort by Name Ascending in the BookMarks Manager (and they appear that way), however my links I have in the Toolbar Folders will not sort. Any suggestions?

2. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

It was suggested in the FireFox Forums to use the Context Menu to "Sort by Name", but since I'm using a MAC I don't have the ability to Right Click (Control>Click with the mouse) only activates the actual link. This isn't an issue on a PC, its incredibly frustrating.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

errr.... i can, im using a M$ wireless mice.
    [​IMG]

4. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i think on the mac you cna press CMD+ Click and that should right click for you?

5. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I'm not using a two button Mouse, so essentially to perform this it would require someone have a two button Mouse? Should I chalk this up as a strike against Apple, not to mention you can't even sort at all in Safari.

That only activates a link, it does not produce the Context Menu.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, u can't use ctrl+click?

edit, i tested, ctrl+click, not cmd+click

well, if u are using laptop, trackpad can do the job.

7. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I tried all the combo's ctrl or cmd it only activates the link.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ahhh, ok, then i have no idea, :eek:

9. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Appreciate the help, I had one of our techs check it out to, but we had no luck out-side of getting a two button mouse. I'll mark that down on my Apple Quirk List.

10. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I pulled a Mighty Mouse off our showroom floor and connected it to our front desk computer and even with the right click enabled I wasn't able to get the context menu.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can u get context menu at other place? like inside webpage? or on the desktop of OSX? it sounds more and more like that there is something wrong with your mice setting?

12. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Yes, the click works everywhere but once you select the link in the links themselves it will not generate the Context Menu.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You know any USB based PC mouse will be fine...

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Then FF doesn't seem to have a context menu for the area you are trying to click. So all this time it sounds like you can actually right click (control click, two finger click), just the app doesn't have a menu in that particular scenario.

Have you tried sorting using the Bookmark Manager? Its under Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks. Select the Bookmark Toolbar folder and then Click View > Sorted By Name

15. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Yes, I've tried every combination and had two different techs here at work take a look at it. The only way I was able to get the links to sort was to export them to my PC sort there and send them back to the Mac.

Yes, you sure can, however that didn't work either.

I'm not able to do it on my iBook, work desk iMac or front desk iMac. I've not tried it on the other systems on our showroom floor, however I can try tomorrow.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, I think at some point this is getting insanely over complicated arguing over whether one button mice are a strike against Apple.

The following works completely fine on my iBook G4:

Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks
    In the window that comes up, navigate to the level of the bookmarks that you want to sort by name.
    Select any ONE of the bookmarks that you wish to be sorted by name.
    Press and hold Ctrl and then click on it (or use any other method of activating a contextual menu on a Mac, including two finger tap on supporting trackpads or the right mouse button on a multi-button mouse.).
    In the resulting contextual menu, select sort by name

All the bookmarks that are at the same level in the hierarchy, regardless of where they reside, including the toolbar, will be alphabetically organized. Folders remain separate from bookmarks, however.

I just did this. On my Mac. In Firefox (2.0).

Now I have to re-sort my fracking™ toolbar. :p

So there.

17. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

If something doesn't work its certainly going to be a concern. Since I work in the industry and deal with switchers daily its important to know where objections could be raised, no matter how trivial it may seem. I know as a PC user and even a Mac user its important to me that my bookmarks be in order as I have a lot of them.

As far as this particular problem I've tried every combination, posted on the Mozilla web site, posted here, had two techs at work check it out with no solution out-side of exporting the links to my PC. I'd be happy to pull the MacBook Pro off the showroom floor and shot video of what I'm doing.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it might be a good idea, since all of us can do it, its really weird why your firefox can't.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, there is one more thing u can try.
    if the problem is caused by firefox, then you can goto your library/application support, and delete the profile folder "firefox", that should solve most problem related to firefox. remember by doing that, you will lose all your bookmarks/password/extensions/themes. so the safer way is to just rename that folder rather than delete, if the problem is solved by a new profile folder, u can then import your bookmarks and passwords to the new profile folder.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I can do it by going to Manage Bookmarks and moving them around there. Sort by Name works fine there too. Using the G5 optimized one on my iMac (v2.0.1), I can even sort folders by clicking and dragging. Doesn't seem to work with 1.5.0.1 on my Sister's G4 PowerBook, but I could have sworn it worked on my Mom's Intel mini with the standard v2. Links themselves had to moved around in the Manage/Organize part, but the folders could be moved. Are you using the older version?

Frustrating that it doesn't work exactly like the PC version, especially since it's just a port, but that should work fine from the Bookmarks Manager.

21. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I'll give that a shot as I still have the bookmark zip file in my mail so losing info. won't be a problem. Here is what Mozilla suggested, though I couldn't make heads or tails of it:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=506414&highlight=

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, i forgot that, here is how

1. type in "about:config" in your address bar and press enter
    2. type in "ui.click_hold_context_menus" in the "filter" bar (or any part of the string, looking for the entry),
    3. double click the entry showed up, the value will change to "true" from "false"
    4. just use your mice click any free space on bookmark toolbar and hold, a context menu will show up.

[​IMG]

23. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I'll try that tomorrow at work and let you know. I did get some screen shots, however if this will fix it posting the images may not be necessary.

24. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I think I figured out the problem. I 'can not' Ctrl Click and get a context menu while in the 'links' under the regular bookmarks. You have to Crtl click while its in the 'Bookmarks Manager' and even though they "appear" to be in order, you still have to Ctrl Click to get the context menu to sort.

Its kind of deceptive, because when you're viewing the links in the Bookmarks Manager they appear to be in the order you assigned, however like with IE you can add a bookmark while in bookmark mode and it will appear to be in order, but if you go to the regular bookmarks in IE they are not in order 'until' you right click and sort.

As far as Fire Fox, with the PC you can sort either way. I blame my PC thinking for over complicating the issue, LOL. Thanks for your help

*bonks head.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks! That's a lot easier than the way I've been doing it.