Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
One thing that bugs me, is when tabbing through forms, Firefox will skip buttons, checkboxes, dropdowns. Basically, anything that isn't text input. Is there any way to change this so it stops at every field? Thanks

keltoid

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Old question, but someone else may find their way here looking for info:

Just found this elsewhere:

By default, on a Mac in Firefox, tab moves from one form element to another—except it will skip radio buttons, checkboxes and drop-down select boxes. I have suffered in silence since I started using the Mac. I finally found out that this too can be remedied. Hooray!

There is an actual setting in the Mac OS that produces this behavior. To change this so that tab treats all form elements with equality go to: System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse and select the tab Keyboard Shortcuts. On the bottom you will see a setting for “Full Keyboard Access”. Just set it to All Controls. This setting will take effect right away, no need to restart Firefox.

pixeler

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
Old question, but someone else may find their way here looking for info:

Just found this elsewhere:

By default, on a Mac in Firefox, tab moves from one form element to another—except it will skip radio buttons, checkboxes and drop-down select boxes. I have suffered in silence since I started using the Mac. I finally found out that this too can be remedied. Hooray!

There is an actual setting in the Mac OS that produces this behavior. To change this so that tab treats all form elements with equality go to: System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse and select the tab Keyboard Shortcuts. On the bottom you will see a setting for “Full Keyboard Access”. Just set it to All Controls. This setting will take effect right away, no need to restart Firefox.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is very helpful! But what's the downside of activating this? Does this produce any unwanted behavior in other apps?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is very helpful! But what's the downside of activating this? Does this produce any unwanted behavior in other apps?

I've never run into any. I always change this setting on a new install within the first week. Not sure why Apple doesn't default it to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.