Firefox theme called Abstract

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by pizzach, Mar 1, 2005.

1. pizzach macrumors member

pizzach

If someone is up to trying something different this is a theme that I've been working on for the past year and a half off and on. I think it's just starting to come to it's own now. Opinions would be appreciated. It's mostly my odd tastes put together with some Mac OS X stylings. :p Firefox 1.0.x. The themes for Mac OS X that look any good with it are few and far between in which is why I had started this project.

If you want to try installing it. Go to my web page at http://pizzach.ambitiouslemon.com/abstract/indexMac.html

Attached Files:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm trying it now. I'm not certain whether I like it or not--for the same reason as I'm not sure I like Aqua--too much blue. :D

3. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

Lol. Yeah. Well the theme is made to be old skool. You know, back in the day when all apps were aqua and designers were blue glass whores. :D But on the otherhand, pinstripe isn't blue anymore so I feel like I'm filling a void.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And you were up in the club, dancing like your mom and your pops, word? :p

I'd like it a lot if it came in a mini version, FWIW...I feel like most FF themes have icons that are way too big, esp. on a 1024x768 laptop screen. They are more at home at 1280x1024 on my desktop.

But I do love the colors. Do yo' thang, boy! :)

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Okay, after using it for a little while, the only real complaint I have is that the Personal Toolbar Folder items show up in a rather small font size that looks cruder than it should.

6. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

You mean the contexual menu that pops up? Unfortunately, I don't think I can edit the font size. The default theme is the same size. The beauties of a non-native browser...

@mkrishnan:
    You can actually shrink the main toolbar icons to smaller so that the toolbar is safari size by "right clicking" on the toolbar and clicking customize. But as luck would have it, the small version of my toolbar buttons are clud still. :rolleyes: It's on my to do list before the theme reaches 1.0.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, I mean the toolbar itself, as you can see in the following attachment. The drop-down menu is fine.

Attached Files:

8. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

Eh? The font is about the same size as Camino and Safari. Though I did notice the bold looked off in aqua so I had just gotten rid of it. I had some major font inconsistancy going on.

9. toontra macrumors 6502

I love this! I've been looking for a theme like this since thinking of switching to Firefox from Safari. No icons in the bookmark bar! Aqua scroll-buttons! Everything I wanted.

As has been said, some of the fonts look a bit clunky and are on the smaall size. Apart from that, excellent. Thanks!

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Why don't you try to put this into the official theme download page for safari themes?

11. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i like this very much, good work. i am getting it now!

it looks far more mac like that firefox does at present and probably one of the reasons why i dont use it, i prefer camion instead! maybe you have given me a reason to switch to the other one now!

12. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

This is an extraordinarily well-designed theme. I've been using the GrApple Brazil Pro theme for quite a while, but this has most certainly tempted me away.

Well done!

13. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

God peoples, the font size was 99% of the size it was supposed to be. :rolleyes: But when you're right your right. The fonts do look much sharper now. I think I must have been staring at the theme too long to notice anymore. :p

(The theme has been updated, but the info on the page doesn't reflect the changes yet.)

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

All right, all right, I for one have quit my whining and installed the theme. And so far I like it! :D

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thank you! :D I no longer have a complaint, well actually... :p

16. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

I'm actually wondering where I can post this puppy before it gets outdated. I'm working on getting it posted on update.mozilla.org. Anywho, urls are worth a thousand words.

17. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

1.0 of the theme!!!!!! There were a lot of small changes. But if anyone downloads and has a problem, please post here/email me!! I think I'm pretty happy with everything now. Some of the things I redid:

Sidebar
    Tab bar
    Bookmarks manager main panel
    search bar

Attached Files:

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Congratulations! You've done well. Glad to see that you have not upset Japanese as I occasionally have had problems with a bookmark or two in various browsers from time-to-time.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Congratulations, Pizzach! :) You should definitely get Mozdev to put this in their theme collection. I just wanted to let you know that, after I said last that I would download it, I have been using it continuously. :)

I did want to mention two things I experienced, when trying to get 1.0 from 0.9.6 (a?). This is all with FF 1.0 -- I have not yet upgraded to 1.0.1. First, when I clicked the theme in the theme mgr, and clicked update, it did not find the update. I'm not sure if this is because of your hosting situation or not, although I know that TBE is not hosted by Mozdev (because it is deprecated), and the built-in update still works for it.

Second, when I went to your website and chose to install 1.0, it appeared separately from the 0.9.6, instead of upgrading it, and it disappeared (!) immediately when it finished downloading. I quit, and restarted, and it was still gone (I was still on 0.9.6). I then de-installed 0.9.6, installed 1.0, had to quit (but I couldn't select this theme yet, because it was just downloaded!), restart and select 1.0, and quit and restart again to get it to work. But I am now rolling with 1.0. :)

20. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

This theme is great, I've been using it since you first posted it and really enjoy the look. Too many themes are overdone looking, this one is simple and clean and works well.

Now if we could just find a way to get services working in firefox...

21. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

Thank guys. I'm working on services. I was pretty sure that the self update comes with being posted on update.mozilla.org, but I could be wrong. I'll find out when it finally does happen. I asked them to post the theme February 26th I think. Still waiting....

You don't need to actually uninstall the theme to update at present. Just install over it to update. It's less trouble.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oooh, I'm sorry, what I was trying to say was that I did this. I tried to install it over the existing version, but for some reason, it would not work on my install, and I was forced to uninstall and reinstall. But it sounds like it is an isolated case, and maybe it has something to do with one of my extensions or something (*slaps TBE* bad TBE, bad TBE :)).

I do hope that update.mozilla.org picks you up.

23. pizzach thread starter macrumors member

pizzach

Eh? Really? I never really tried testing for TBE though I think that my theme should technically work. How does it look? I made a makeshift new-tab button. But still it looks a bit out of place personally. Though it is a LOT better than how it was before when it placed a XP style button in and stretched the tabs out by itself. :D