Firefox/Thunderbird: Too set in my ways?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hob, Mar 6, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I get the feeling I'm getting too old! Having been using macs for 18 months full-time, I've just been told by my best mate to get on to Firefox and Thunderbird. He swears by them... but then again, he's only had his powerbook (first mac) since xmas...

I'm using firefox right now, and it's really clever - some excellent features, such as the find feature which is far better than Safari's... but Safari works exactly how I like, and I know exactly what each shortcut does... And thunderbird... Mail seems a lot better...

I dunno, the import wizards don't work at all... Hmmm...

Thoughts?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...I go back and forth too. BTW, try AcidSearch for getting the enhanced find functionality in Safari. And do a search on here for getting Safari bookmarks into FF -- it can be done (it isn't broken). Can't help you with T-bird, though. :(

3. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I don't like the UI for Thunderbird, and Mail does all I need in a Mail app.

However, after much switching around, and trying this and that, I find that Firefox just kicks some serious Safari @$$. Period. Yea, it looks like a Windblows app, and some of the shortcuts are different. But it's way faster, and way more customizeable. If you're on a high-speed line all the time, Safari might just work for you, but I get stuck with dial up about 10 days/month - like now - and Firefox is just way faster than Safari.

I tried going back, and couldn't. But that's the fun of it, trying stuff. I'm sure I'll give Safari another go when Tiger comes out. We'll see....

4. 3-22 macrumors regular

Safari UI...

I'll go back to Safari when they fix up the interface. I still think it's quirky. Like why if I click on the wrong link group in the toolbar I can't just roll over to the next one. If I click the wrong menu I can move the mouse around...

I also find it generally slower.

I also use it on Windows too so maybe I'm used to it so like the same on both. Don't know... It's not a bad browser though, and way better then IE.

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    As much as I am a die-hard Safari fan when on my Mac, I use FF all the time on Windows. In fact this very day I have added 4 more extensions: smooth scroll, quick note, X tab, and a right-click dictionary lookup thingy (not it's real name ;)).

I can hear where you are coming from, but despite my loyalties FF is now becoming so darn useful that I can see myself abandoning Safari on the Mac. However, I'm expecting (actually 'hoping') Safari to have been update with a few sexier functions.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive just about gone fully over to Camino for my browser, i just hope the pop-up blocker gets a little better, and that there will be a program like PithHelmet released for it, but its faster than both FF and Safari for me, and i love it, needs a built in spell checker too

i tried using Thunderbird for my mail, but it just didnt work for me, plus i love the integration between Address Book, Mail and iCal

if safari could just be sped up a little bit more i would keep using it

7. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I love Firefox and Thunderbird on the PC. I also use Firefox on my Mac, mostly for the load/rendering speeds, but I also like some of the extensions too. I'm curious to see how Safari will perform in Tiger.

I like Mail much better than Thunderbird on the Mac. As PlaceofDis said, the integration is nice. Plus, I like the Mail styling better. I still really enjoying using Thunderbird on my PC though.

8. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I prefer Mail over Thunderbird mainly becuase Mail accesses the built-in address App. I was unable to get Thurnderbird to do the same and I don't feel like reentering all of them.

9. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I was sold on Safari, but since the first of the year, it has really slowed down. Begrudgingly, I d/l'ed FF and Camino. I like the fact that Camino is a Mac program, but I hate those folderes I get in the Bookmark bar. Reminds me of Windows. I use FF about 98% of the time. I just go back to Safari to remind myself of its features, hoping that with Tiger it will get faster and better. But for now, it's FF.

As for a mail program, I'm hooked on Entourage. I know, it's Microsoft, but it's a very good program. I use the calendar program, task program, and the Project Center too. I have a huge project going on and I have brought all the e-mails, notes, pdf's, .xls, .doc's, literally everything into the Project. Very nice program.

Frank