Firefox Update Won't Install - Need Permissions Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loudguitars, Mar 14, 2007.

1. loudguitars macrumors member

I'm trying to install an update to Firefox (from 2.0 to 2.0.0.2) and I'm having issues.

I have an admin account, but when I try to copy FF to applications, it tells me it cannot copy because I do not have sufficient privileges for some items. Now on my old computer, it did the same thing, but when I logged into the first (admin) account created on the computer, I could copy things fine. Pain in the ass, but it worked.

On this computer (brand new 17" C2D iMac), even if I log into the first account created and try to install from there, it still gives me a permissions error. Firefox is not the only application to give me this error (Skype is, as of now, the only other one) when I try to update.

I tried running "repair disk permissions" from disk utility, but the same thing happened on both accounts after it claimed to make repairs.

Anybody got any idea of how I might be able to fix this? Is there a chance that because I'm running antivirus software that could be screwing with the permissions? Or should I simply try to uninstall/reinstall Firefox?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if u do a "get info" on your application folder, what kind of "ownership and permissions" do you have?

3. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

I had ownership. However, I'm also a moron.

Dragging the application from (username)/Application to the trash and then trying to install the update fixed the problem. Friend on the other side of the country who I broke down and called told me he sees this all the time at his office, apparently it's something screwy with the way Firefox does updates.

Anyway, if you just drag the application from your (username)/Applications file to the trash (and not any of the support files) you won't lose any of your bookmarks or anything. Tried the same process with Skype, worked like a charm.

Seemed way too simple to be a solution. Damn my years on a PC making me think the obvious solution is the hilariously complicated one.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I thought u could just use "check for update" from firefox's help menu, which I am doing every several days for my minefield.