firefox vs. camino

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saga, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. saga macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2006
    #1
    Hey everyone,
    I currently use firefox but was wondering what people thought of camino. I have just heard about camino, and would like to know what the differences are.
     
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #2
    i think one of the differences i the software; Firefox is designed for Windows and then ported over to Mac, whereas Camino is designed solely for Macs. i don't know the specifics. i do know Camino runs faster and smoother and looks better than Firefox on my MBP.
     
  3. Mernak macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2006
    Location:
    Kirkland, WA
    #3
    Mostly personal preference. I switched to Camino for awhile after using Firefox because a friend recommended it. After a week or two there were just a couple of things that bugged me so I switched back. The most annoying thing is the fact that you can't organize tabs and you can't use all of those great firefox plug-ins and extensions. I would say use both for a bit and choose your favorite.
     
  4. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #4
    Firefox:
    - non-native GUI
    - Gecko-based
    - extensions

    Camino:
    - Cocoa GUI
    - Gecko-based
    - no extensions

    If you are to use Camino I would recommend downloading a beta version. They are very stable and include new features not yet released, like spellcheck and session restore.
     
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    Gone but not forgotten.
    #5
    I started using Camino early in the betas, 0.5, I believe and it's grown a lot since then. It's a good browser, especially when you need Gecko compatibility when a WebKit browser, such as Safari, doesn't work correctly. Development was stalled for so long that I moved to Firefox and lately, Flash content works so poorly on Camino (version 1.0.3) that I deleted it.

    Firefox 2.0 nightly builds are still progressing and there are two things not there that Camino has that are of value to many Mac users: keychain access and native widgets such as drop down boxes. Firefox 3 is planned to have both. Right now, it's an extensible browser and it's possible to change themes. Even with CamiTools, which is good software, Camino doesn't come close.
     
  6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

    SmurfBoxMasta

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    I'm only really here at night.
    #6
    Camino: 4 many years :)

    Fast, stable, native.......it does what I need it to do !

    Firefox: ugly windows to mac port, sometimes unstable, mainly due to extensions and overzealous coding that gets out with minimal testing. v3 supposedly will be much better though :p
     
  7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    #7
    I use camino about 98% of the time and FF the other 2% when the occational page won't load properly in camino. IMO they are almost the same. I don't run many extentions in FF so I don't miss those in camino.

    From my observation camino uses less system resources than does FF, at least FF 1.5. Don't know really if FF 2.0 uses less or more. I just know that 1.5, if I didn't close it out and restart at least once a day or so it would hog over 150+mb of my ram. Camino rarely goes over 80 after being open days on end.
     
  8. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #8
    this is what i meant. also, i can't believe people are already talking about FF3 - we just got FF2! if anything, we should be looking ahead to Safari 3.0.
     
  9. clevin macrumors G3

    clevin

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    #9
    thats why u missed the most important difference
    extensions

    FX 3.0 alpha1 is on mozilla's ftp server now, where is Safari 3?
     
  10. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2004
    Location:
    ohio
    #10
    Camino is definitely the better choice, nice browser for the Mac. Use that 99% and Opera the other 1%. Firefox isn't a Mac app, doesn't look good with native skin, although there are some skins I grabbed (Mac looking). I don't need the vast extension options. Just give me a clean, fast, working browser and that is Camino.
     
  11. thegrifman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    Location:
    Kennesaw, GA
    #11
    I've been using Camino myself for a couple of days and like it since it has the native GUI. The only extension I really miss from FF is Flashblock. All the Flash that is on the web these days with sound that plays automatically drives me absolutely bonkers so it was nice to only play the Flash I wanted. I'm going to try Camino for a while longer and see how it goes but I may go back to FF for that feature alone.
     

Share This Page