Firefox vs Camino

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by derekmcwilliams, Nov 6, 2004.

1. derekmcwilliams macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2004
    In the UK
    Hello everyone.

Im looking for a vote of opinion here. I used firefox for a few weeks, and as much as I was impressed with it and the extensions were cool, it crashed a few times, so I decided to install Camino.

Camino seems to be more reliable and quicker at loading up web pages - but everyone seems to rave about firefox...

Could some people like to cast their votes and their opinions?

Thanks everyone,

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    If your use of Firefox covered multiple versions - you should try moving your profile out of the way (after saving your bookmarks.html file) when upgrading. That can cause problems.

I've tried Camino a few times, and I keep finding it lacking compared to Firefox. I haven't had any stability issues with Firefox though; I can see why that would color your opinion.
  3. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    camino all the way! i love it. its so quick and simple. always works. there are things that it doesnt have like rss etc but i dont really need them. it has useful things like tabbed browsing which is essential and its just so quick! so camino all the way.
  4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    I've always been a fan of Camino, and found Firefox lacking. But...

With Preview Release Candidate 2, Firefox is getting some screentime on my Mac. There are only a few bugs left, and it finally works with my company's intranet.

It still looks too much like Windows. I'd like to see someone write a theme for it that rounds the corners of text boxes/drop down menus/etc... (I don't know how - but I might have to learn) Some drop down menus are a little buggy. I really like Safari's "SnapBack" feature, love to see it here. I'd like to be able to turn off or at least control mouse gestures.

Pretty slick, though. And very, very fast!
  5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    I use Camino on my Mac at home and Firefox on my PC at work. Unfortunately I still find problems with Firefox compatibilty on some websites though and have to resort to IE. I very rarely have issues with Camino.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've been using Camino regularly since version 0.5 and Firefox since it was called Phoenix.

Firefox gets cross-platform exposure so has many more people to report bugs and also has more people fixing them. With release candidate 2, it is much nicer than Camino. It's especially nice that things look the same across platforms, esp. if you're doing web designs. I was having a few crashes with the preview version of Firefox (two releases ago) and went to use Camino and decided that I liked how smoothly Firefox worked, esp. with the auto-fill. Extensions are a great extra.

I think it's nice that Camino uses the Macintosh's own interface but just clicking on a drop-down list and it looks awkward suddenly. Firefox may not please the Mac-olytes, but it's a better browser overall with a better future.
  7. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i found camino to be faster than firefox, but i don't like the looks of either, which is why i use safari...which speed wise is about that same as firefox for me. Speed wise you can hardly tell a difference... whats .5 secs difference in loading a page? so i basically just go for the one that is most fun to use: safari, if i was going for a mozilla browser i'd use camino.

sorry to add safari into the mix... but since its what i use i thought i would say so.

btw: does anyone know how to get rid of the bottom status bar in camino?
  8. abc123 macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2004
    i've switched to firefox as my main browser. safari used to time out all the time for no good reason which i could fix but it took ages and would just start doing it the next day. i the like firefox extentions too. camino never really caught on with me, if firefox ever lets me down i'll probably give it another go.
    my browsers in order
  9. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2004
    Nagoya, Japan
    Lately I've been using mostly Camino. On Linux/Windows it's Firefox all the way, but on the Mac, Camino is faster and has native widgets (i.e. a real Aqua interface).

The only thing I miss is Firefox's Adblock extension, but the Camino ExtraPrefs add-on blocks most ads. You can get it here:

Really, the browser with the best features, IMHO, is Omniweb, but it can be a little sluggish if you don't have a G5. So it's Camino for me!

PS. If you're scoping out the entire browser buffet, Opera is worth trying out too. Many people swear by it.
  10. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    to me, noia 2.0 extreme (theme) looks a bit aquaish but not really. i used it but it doesn't look too good with xp. as you can tell from my previous sentence i use firefox and not camino lol. it sure kicks ie's ass...
  11. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    Well, I'm back to Camino. I'm using the latest nightly - and it finally supports my company's intranet.

I really like the look of Camino over Firefox, and useability is very similar. Speed is similar, too. I poked around with Firefoxes prefs, and couldn't adjust mouse gestures, and it was getting too annoying with the dang thing going back, then forward, by itself (I use uControl to use my trackpad as a scrollwheel).

Safari's still the best looking (to me). It's just getting slower and slower.

A note about Opera: In the windows world, the free version of Opera would install spyware - in itself - that would monitor your surfing and tell 'home' about it periodically. If you bought the paid version after using the free one, it left the spyware in there - but didn't tell you.

With OS 10.3.6, Safari no longer times out after 60 seconds...
  12. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I've tried them both, but found nothing compelling enough to make me want to switch from Safari.

Six of one, half dozen of the other to me.
    Its the look and feel that you like best I suppose, unless there is something specific that one does for you that another doesn't.

None of them will load Wachovia's Bill Pay for me, so I'm still stuck using IE for that one function :mad:
  13. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    This is pretty much the reason I keep going back to Safari. It's quick for what I do, and it's definitely the most pleasing interface for me. I do wish the pop-up blocker was customizable, though. :rolleyes:
  14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    The Safari deal breaker for me is the way that it continues to grow when using "Auto Tabs". In Camino they're called "Tab Groups". They've changed the web browsing experience for me. Problem with Safari is that upon opening a group of tabs the browser window gets taller. When I close it then open it again it retains that extra space - continuing to grow every time I open Tabs. Camino OTOH, handles it just fine...
  15. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    do you know of a way to get rid of the status bar in camino?

i tried out camino a bit more yesterday, its seems pretty nice except i don't like having a status bar on the bottom.