FireFox vs. Safari (and IE I guess)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pgc6000, May 31, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

So which one do you like more? FireFox, Safari, Internet Explorer, or something else? Personally I like FireFox. FF works with websites much better then Safari, and is faster. It has some pretty neat skins and themes too. What about you guys?

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

safari = winner

IE blows in all aspects including security

FF is not even needed, if you want to, you can enable debug mode on safari and have it operate as a different browser for a specific site

here is how to do it

Quit Safari.

Turn on Debug mode.

Then restart it. You'll see a "Debug" menu. Once at the banking site's main page, select Debug->User Agent->Windows MSIE 6.0. Edit: you might need to select this before going to the main page; some trial and error should work it out. Your encryption is fine; the bank just doesn't recognize our browser.

Odds are the site will work fine. Note that you need to do this every time you visit - the User Agent only is valid for that session/window.

here is the code to enter in terminal

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

0 instead of 1 to turn it off

you are welcome :D

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Since Tiger, Safari.
    Before that I had been using Camino a bit.
    I find Safari 2 faster than any other browser for a lot of things, especially cold and warm start-up times. I have hardly found problems with Safari compatibility, and if I do I often find other browsers have difficulty too.
    I'm sure this topic has been done to death though!

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IE is dead.

Safari and FF each have their advantages, difficult to say one is absolutely better than the other.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I go back and forth. I'm on Safari right now. But part of that has to do with sites that I visit frequently and then stop going to for a while.... A lot has to do with PithHelmet vs. AdBlock for me. PithHelmet does a lot for you out of the box, without configuration. But AdBlock works better for me once I get it going. On my present daily list, it doesn't make much difference, but for instance, if I start going to NYT again, I don't like what AdBlock does with that page and I find it too cumbersome to futz with.... :(

OTOH, AcidSearch draws me to Safari over FF, because you can add new search sites soooo easily. :) I have a more sophisticated set of search sites in AcidSearch than I do in FF!

So anyway, for now, Safari. Maybe FF again soon.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i sue FF just to lazy to move to safaria(i liek the look of FF

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've used Safari since upgrading to Tiger (I had promised to give Safari 2 a try and since Firefox crashed horribly because of a plugin incompatibility it was very easy to hold that promise ;)).

I miss Adblock, Pithelmet was thrown out again after 10 minutes of trying, after crashing Safari twice, useless piece of cr*p that took all ads except the flash based, which was the only ones I really want to get rid of :rolleyes:, and I miss the Find (in page) bar from Firefox. But since getting AcidSearch I no longer miss the Search field I had gotten addicted to in Firefox. I also think Firefox feels a little less responsive in Tiger...

Maybe I have switched back to Safari, at least until Firefox 1.1 or maybe all the time until Firefox 2.0 is released... ;)

:confused:

8. auxplage macrumors 6502

I have Safari 1.3 which is supposedly almost the same as 2.0. I use optimzed builds of Camino, and it absolutely destroys Safari on almost all sites. That said, Safari is much more stable and renders a lot of pages much better.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I mostly stick to Firefox, but I also make use of Safari and Camino if I feel like it. If I do some real heavy browsing I usually open all three. :) Mostly sticking to Firefox, since it's multiplatform.

I also happen to like Opera (I even paid for the ad-free version), but only on Windows. For some reason it just doesn't work as well on the Mac. I'm not really sure why...

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Disclaimer: I was a Firefox user under Panther, I haven't used 1.3 much (and I just cannot remember if they used the new engine in 1.3, too).

2.0 feels very different than 1.3, snappier and more solid at the same time (but of course Tiger can have some impact, too) even if it occasionally crashes when I close a tab.

And the RSS support in 2.0 is fantastic (they' didn't add RSS for 1.3, right?).

So, since 2.0 finally seems to work with my internet bank (which after an "upgrade" stopped working with Safari 1.x), the new engine in Safari 2 seems a lot better than the old 1.x one

11. 36183 Guest

12. liquidtrance123 macrumors member

If safari had adblock i'd definately be using that. But since it doesn't its 100% firefox for me.

Some of the ads out there if i use safari it uses up 100% of my 1.25Ghz G4 just to run the ads on the page...its pathetic. When safari gets adblock i'm all over it :p

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I use Safari for all my browsing. I just don't feel like I am using a Mac when I use Firefox on my Mac. Can't place it exactly, but it doesn't feel right to me. That said I keep a copy of Firefox handy for web development. The JavaScript Console is handy (I installed one for Safari, but it doesn't seem to work). On PCs it's Firefox all the way.

14. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

The optimized build of FF is faster so I use it. But of course Safari is nicer looking. :)

15. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I'm still using Firefox even after the release of Safari 2. Here's a list of pros for each.

Firefox Pros:
    - Better "Find" functionality
    - I can't live without the mouse gestures plug-in
    - I like the AdBlock plug-in but could live without it.
    - Firefox is more efficient with resources, particularly RAM.

Safari Pros:
    - The look and feel of Safari is better than FF, IMO.
    - Seems to perform better with Flash apps and Java plug-ins. I sometimes have issues with these in FF.
    - Love the new Dictionary integration in Tiger.

If Safari ever gets an improved "Find" feature and mouse gestures natively or via plug-in I will most likely switch to Safari. I also hope that Safari gets better with resource usage in the future, but as it stands now I would still be willing to use it if it had all the features I want. I wouldn't doubt the find feature gets improved soon, but considering that Apple is still only selling one-button mice I doubt mouse gesturing will be implemented natively and I don't see Safari going the plug-in route any time soon... so with Firefox I stay, for now.

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

feakbeak, I agree with the pros and cons, but you forgot to put the OS X built-in spell checker in Safari. That's a pro... :)

17. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Does not the text version of this site now work with Safari, letting you book tickets as well as check what's on?

18. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

People have been talking about this:
    AcidSearch

19. NaMo4184 macrumors member

Safari All the way

I use Safari Even though i have tried all the other OS X browsers. When you have safari with Acid Search and safari buttons it is unbeatable. The only thing i feel that it is missing is a better RSS feed interface and a the ability to decide which files are safe files. If anyone knows how to edit that safe list please PM me.

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Safari feels so much better than Firefox. The look of it...

Also, the bookmark system in Safari is damn near unbeatable. I use bookmarks quite a bit and they are really great in Safari. In Firefox, I hate using bookmarks. Too unwieldily. I do have Firefox "installed" however, along with Internet Explorer. I really do need to trash IE soon... but Firefox stays around for the sites that can't get their web development right.

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think he was referring to the Find -> Find... (i.e. on the page) and not Find -> Google Search... ;)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Out of curiosity, what is it that bothers you about FF bookmarks? Is it the bookmarks manager? I think the one in Safari is definitely better on that front. But mostly they seem pretty equivalent to me. I routinely refresh whichever one I hadn't been using with the bookmarks from the other one, and I seem to be able to practically use bookmarks in a very similar fashion in both.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Of course, AcidSearch actually addresses both kinds of find. :) But it does a much better job with the google bar than with find as you type....

Reminds me.... in Safari 1.3, Acidsearch popped up a bar at the screen bottom, much like in FF, when doing find-as-you-type. I don't know if I forgot the setting or what, but in 2.0, all I get is text in the status bar, which isn't so nice. Does anyone else get a "find bar" docked to the bottom of the window using AcidSearch 0.41 and Safari 2.0?

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've only tried AcidSearch 0.41 with Safari 2.0. And I've never seen any "Find bar", like the one you get in Firefox, or gotten any find-as-you-type function to work. I do love the superior way AcidSearch lets you add search engines to the "Google window", far better than Firefox' solution, but I do miss the Find bar, too. :(

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I could've sworn that in 1.3, if you enabled "Show Input Box," you would get a bar like in FF.... But I could very well be wrong. :(