Firefox vs Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by halfprep455, Mar 18, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I like both Firefox and Safari but I think Firefox is overall a better browser. It can display more web pages (ie. Yahoo Mail Beta, Myspace On Demand Video). I wonder why Apple doesn't bundle Firefox with Mac OS.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Apple has a browser, called Safari, as you stated. Why should they bundle a browser that is basically competing with theirs?

I used Firefox on my PC, and I still do on any PC. There's just something about Safari, though. I use it.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Firefox takes longer to start up, and IMO it is not really mac-ish. After switching from windows I tried Safari for about a day, then downloaded FF. I later found the Inquisitor plug-in and have been a Safari user ever since, its just wonderful. If I ever cannot open a page, I just open FF...

One thing about FF I prefer is the search, but in Safari 3, this is going to be really great, utilising Core Animation. Also, having Safari means Apple can add features for their system for upcoming 'secret features'...webclip is cool, and I', sure there will be more...

4. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Just because you think it's a better browser, doesn't make it a better browser. I think safari is the better browser (especially if you are using the latest nightly builds). I also believe more mac users prefer safari over firefox.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i like them both but my university's site and mail cannot be opened with it so i have to use FF..

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'd happily use Safari if it handled re-sizing to fit the screen like firefox does and more importantly to me, if it had the live bookmarks feature that firefox implements. Until another browser has that, I'll always use firefox.

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I like both as well, if websites wouldn't open properly in safari I use camino which is based on the same engine. I use firefox on the pc though.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Both are excellent. I use Safari on my Mac and Firefox on my PC. Just as long as it isn't IE, I'm fine with either! ;) :D

9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

user searching function of this forum, at the top right corner, search for terms "firefox safari", there are at least 3 posts with exactly same title, and many more posts about comparisons. :)

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oh yes, far more threads on this topic - many more comparisons can be found in the multitude of "What's your Favorite Browser?" threads... ;)

12. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

Another thing I don't like about Safari is that it does not have tabbed browsing. If it does I cant find it.

13. CaptainZap macrumors regular

Opera is nice, it is as fast as Safari, but with features similar to Firefox. And it uses considerably less CPU than FF.

Open Safari, then go to Safari > Preferences > Tabs
    Then make sure you enable tabbed browsing and show Tab bar all the time.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I love tabbed browsing in Safari - I use it all the time. :cool:

15. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Personally, on the Mac, I find Safari to be the better browser. Rarely do I find a page it doesn't play nicely with (I use Gmail, not Yahoo mail), it's faster than Firefox, and prettier :) Of course, I don't really use any plug-ins with Firefox either, so they don't factor into my opinion.

Also, with the Inquisitor plug-in from Dave Watanabe, it's a damn-near perfect browser, IMO.

16. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Both are good in their own ways. Firefox does render more pages (Safari still has the occasional hiccup) and has many useful features, but Safari is very elegant and it launches very quickly compared to Firefox on my iBook. This advantage disappears when using faster computers, though.

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

gmail under safari acts differently from firefox. safari won't show you the online status of your contacts, whereas firefox will. so google talk under safari isn't supported. it's no bother to me, as i use ichat or meebo anyway. but i bring this up to point out that it isn't the same under both browsers. i also get other inconsistencies with gap.com and a few other sites. still, i like safari better, because i like that cmd-number will launch the respective bookmark in my bookmarks bar.

i'd much rather read another "safari vs. firefox" thread over a "mb or mbp," "wait for leopard/santa rosa" or "black or white mb" thread any day.

18. MacAodh macrumors regular

With live bookmarks i can check all my rss feeds in about half a second. Now that's something that Safari just don't have.

Although pdf viewing within the browser is tempting to make me switch back... but it still downloads which is really annoying!!

19. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

This is true, but on my Mac I run Gmail through Mail.app and Gtalk through Adium, so I never notice this :) You're right, though, the Gtalk-through-Gmail does act slightly differently on Safari.

20. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

21. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Guess I just can't shake the years of Windows use, b/c I strongly prefer FF over Safari. I can't articulate what it is about Safari that I don't like... What I can say is that I just can't do w/out the freely available extensions of FF...same thing that made me use it on Windows...

22. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i use all 3, but flash runs better on safari, and it runs faster too in my opinion. i kept firefox for some tools and extensions, and occasionally camino. i tried to completlly migrate to camino and firefox but i always go back to safari as my default for some odd reason.

23. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Honestly, I'd rather use FF becuase of the spell-check feature. I don't know if Safari has anything like it, (haven't really checked) so I just tend to use FF.

24. DuckRacer1 macrumors newbie

Safari > Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling As You Type