Firefox warnings HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JDN, Feb 5, 2007.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

I know these aren't real warnings, i know my mac isn't being invaded by little green digital men wanting to destroy my HD or whatever, but i am getting warnings continually more often popping up on my screen. They are like adverts, but as you will see from the screen shots ive taken, there is not little 'X' to press to get rid of it, i have to press cancel on the window, and sometimes there isn't even the option to do that.

Does anyone recognise whats going on? When these warnings come up i end up having to close firefox and quit it, and then open it from scratch again. It's really starting to annoy me!!

Anyway, this is what i see at various times:

This happens first ... firefox window disappears, and this message come up:
    [​IMG]

Then i get transfered to this page:
    [​IMG]

Then when i try to navigate away from that page to anywhere else i get this before it the loads the new page:
    [​IMG]

I get these messages from normal usage of the internet, they randomly appear and they are becoming more frequent.

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Looks like it has changed your homepage in the browser settings? Try changing it to something else.

3. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Homepage is set to my personal google page as always.

4. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

Does this happen only when you go to specific websites?

It just looks like pop-up spam to me. The error messages are probably Java script or something. I doubt it has anything to do with Firefox itself, but rather it's spam adverts popping up on the site you happen to be browsing.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehehe...Windows Registry.... SystemDoctor is also a Windows utility. I really hate this form of advertising. Of course, I haterblock it, so I never really see it unless I see a thread like this telling me about it. ;)

6. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the built in pop up blocker in firefox turned on, so why do these get through? Is there a way to specifically block that website and all connected pop ups?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They get through because they're not traditional pop-ups, but rather embedded redirects in JavaScript.... they're a little trickier.

Yes, AdBlock Plus or the like will help you block it. If you use the original Adblock, there's a "list blockable elements" option... I'm trying to see how to do that on Adblock Plus. But most likely it will automatically be covered in any of the pre-defined subscription lists.