Firefox will not show bookmarks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbinzer, Oct 28, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi forum

I use FF3 and recently I have experienced a strange thing.
    My bookmarks.html file is intact (checked it in text editor) and is located where it's supposed to be but for some reason FF doesn't load it during startup or at least not completely. Some of the bookmarks does appear but a whole bunch is left out.

bookmarks.hmtl is located in /library/application support/firefox/profiles/********.default/

I tried to reinstall FF3 and restore bookmarks via FF from backup but no luck.

Another strange thing: The bookmarks that does appear, some of them converts into the last adress I was visiting - which of course makes them quite useless.

Anyone have a similar experience or better, a solution to restore the bookmarks?

/Jonas

2. macrumors regular

Try Importing them. Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks. Click the button that looks like a star in an oval (fourth from left,) click Import HTML, select from an HTML file and locate the file. Click continue. The new file will appear in a sub-folder under Bookmarks menu under All Bookmarks. Open that file, highlight all the bookmarks, and drag them to wherever you want.

3. macrumors 6502

speaking of bookmarks.how can i delete a bookmark without going into the organize bit,then delelting.

4. macrumors regular

If they appear in the bookmark toolbar, right-click and delete. Otherwise, manually deleting in the bookmark manager is the quickest, easiest way.

5. macrumors 6502

the right click doesnt work for me.im using a pc mouse.funny how it works that way on pc lol.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip - but, alas, it doesn't seem to work.

I might add that none of my bookmarks show in the firefox library dialog, which leads me to believe that there's something more serious going on :-/

Would it be possible to create af new profile in firefox and import the new bookmarks into that profile?

7. macrumors regular

No.

Try this: back up the bookmarks folder to disc or an external drive, the trash Firefox and all the support files. Re-download it and install the bookmarks.

8. macrumors regular

Control click accomplishes the same thing. Maybe you can download a Mac driver at the mouse manufacturer's website.