Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikefly, Feb 6, 2007.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2007

Having trouble with firefox.. it seems to be freezing a fair amount -- also, it has been unfrozen, but unwilling to accept text entry (i.e. useless)

any ideas why this is happening? is it just buggy? is there a fix? -- latest version of firefox for OSX.

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    happens to me, it's an issue I raised in a thread a while back.

My solution is to do the keyboard shortcut for a new window apple+N. Then the shortcut to close it, apple+w. your original window should now be "unfrozen, and you can type text again"

at least that's what works for me

3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    thats not the same problem as OP's

for OP.
    u can either delete ur profile folder (~/library/application support/firefox) (will lose bookmarks, password, extensions and themes, sure, u can backup bookmarks and passwords first if u want)

or u can give up, if u don't really like firefox, there are many other choices.

what u described is not a bug, and probably related to your own settings.
  4. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    I hate to give you a windoze answer, but I had problems with Firefox a while back and de-installed then re-installed it. This cleared up the problem.

Also there may be problems with flash - this has killed my version a few times.

Firefox; are there alternative browsers? Not when you install the addins:
    - addblock - blocks ads, just like the web was in '95
    - mouse gestures - wonderful feature lifted from Opera, makes browsing much easier
    - web developer toolbar. Simply the dogs bollocks for web development (try <cmd><shift>S to see what sites look like without styles)

Do persevere. There's obviously something wrong.
  5. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2007

Hmm.. all seems like good advice..

I much prefer Firefox to Safari - - tabbed browsing!! -- even explorer has added this feature.

I'll try a reinstall, but I kinda doubt it's any settings I put in, as it's a fresh d/l and I haven't added or changed anything.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    can't enter text....that's the same problem I have.

same problem I'm referring to