Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
i just bought myself a brand new 12inpb, i downloaded mozilla firefox but i have problems running it.everytme i try to open it just hangsup and would not respond.any help is much appreciated.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
daxdagr8t said:
i just bought myself a brand new 12inpb, i downloaded mozilla firefox but i have problems running it.everytme i try to open it just hangsup and would not respond.any help is much appreciated.

You can try deleting the preferences file, it could be causing the hangups. Otherwise just try to reinstall it? Hope that works :)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
you might also have to re-download Firefox. perhaps your DL of it got corrupted?

but i'm sure there's heaps of others with the same model PB running Firefox, so you can be 100% sure it's not a hardware incompatability issue.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
daxdagr8t said:

Why don't you just use Safari? It's so much better than firefox in every way as far as I've seen. I only keep firefox around as a backup browser. Seriously, Safari is the best browser on OS X; Firefox does rule supreme on the PC, though.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Best Windows Browser: Mozilla Firefox
Best Mac OS X Browser: Safari or Firefox

If you can't get Firefox to work, just use Safari, it's great.

thePurpleGiant

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
Did you end up getting this to work? Another suggestion for you if you want a Mozilla based browser, but for some reason can't get Firefox to work, is to download Camino. Not quite as feature-packed as Firefox, but is more 'Mac-Like', and is very, very fast. Else, Safari is still very good too.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
daxdagr8t said:
There seems to be a problem with Firefox 0.9. However, Firefox 0.9.1 works fine for me.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I downloaded a version of firefox this weekend onto my powerbook 17". After unzipping and installing it I found that the program would start a (seemingly) infinite loop of crashing and restarting and crashing and restarting and crashing and restarting and crashing and restarting and crashing an restarting.. ugh.. you get the picture.

I had to perfect my timing of the Force Quit in order to shut the darn thing down...

Fireinspire

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
Sou Cali
titaniumducky said:
Why don't you just use Safari? It's so much better than firefox in every way as far as I've seen. I only keep firefox around as a backup browser. Seriously, Safari is the best browser on OS X; Firefox does rule supreme on the PC, though.

Firefox is my primary. safari is just too unreliable and crashes more often than acceptable.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
ChrisFromCanada said:
I have done multipe test and have found that the fastest browsers on the mac are:

(IN ORDER)
Camino
Safari
Opera (very close to safari)
Firefox
Mozilla (Regular)
IE

I haven't tried Opera on Mac, but other than that I agree entirely. Firefox has to fix that middle button issue before I will even consider trying it again.

Funny thing is, I can't remember why I started using Camino. There was something in Safari that was bugging me; compatibility with some sites or something. After using Camino for a while I decided to go back to Safari, ran into the same issue and switched back.

Now for the life of me I can't remember what the issue is, but having run into it twice I'm going to keep using Camino anyway :) It feels as well integrated into Panther as Safari does, so I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Rico Diablo

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2004
Chicago
I've been a Mozilla user (on a PC at work and on a PowerMac at home) for a few years but started using Safari when I got my new PB a few months ago. I like Safari and it's similar enough to Mozilla that I know what I'm doing.

I want to have a second browser on my PB just in case but I'm not sure of the real differences between FireFox and Camino. Which would be better to use?

Thanks!

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Rico Diablo said:
I want to have a second browser on my PB just in case but I'm not sure of the real differences between FireFox and Camino. Which would be better to use?

Firefox is identical to the Windows version, except the middle button (if you have a multi button mouse) doesn't work. It offers more flexibility than camino.

camino is far better integrated into the OS and can use things like the keychain which Firefox doesn't, but has less options available through the UI. You end up editing prefs files to change some things.

Personally I like the Camino feel better as I feel like I'm using an OSX app. Both use the same rendering engine.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
titaniumducky said:
How can you say that?

Safari has so many ugly little [CSS] bugs hanging around, not to mention some very visible and very, very annoying ones [ssl http proxy]. Firefox, on the other hand, while the scrollbars are a bit f**ked up does a much better job at rendering complex CSS, and ssl proxying.
Having said that, I've had no reason to try Camino. *shrug* maybe I'll give it a go sometime I have a decent connection.

Yeah, I brought this up before... but it was the bane of my freaking life while i was in a dorm!

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
cb911 said:
you might also have to re-download Firefox. perhaps your DL of it got corrupted?
If people would wait when the Disk Utility is mouning the dmgs instead of clicking skip, and therefore instead of skipping the md5 sum check, the problem you statet would not exist. :rolleyes:

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
brap said:
Safari has so many ugly little [CSS] bugs hanging around, not to mention some very visible and very, very annoying ones [ssl http proxy]. Firefox, on the other hand, while the scrollbars are a bit f**ked up does a much better job at rendering complex CSS, and ssl proxying.
Than again, safari renders some complex table layouts much, much faster than Firefox...

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I like Firefox's customization, like the ability to add extra search engines and the google toolbar (which is a Windows only add-on from Google).

I've noticed firefox runs tabs a lot better than safari, you may not be able to close them individually from the tab top as easily, but you can switch tabs a lot quicker if you're short on RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.