Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
I have a firelite 40 gb external firewire harddrive that I use with my MBP. The HDD itself has two firwire ports. One is obviously to connect to the computer, but the other connection is for...?

I do a lot of work with Camcorders, and Im hoping that this other connection is like an extra, to make up for the fact that the drive itself occupies my only firewire connection on the MBP. My camera connect to the computer via firewire, and if I need to directly transfer footage from the tape to the external, I need two firewire ports... so can i use this other port for the camera?

Please say so if Im not being clear, its a bit tricky.
Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Like most Firewire hard drives, the second FW port is for daisy-chaining another device, so you should be good with the camera.

A couple of pieces though:
The camera FW may or may not work correctly if the Firelight drive is turned off.

ALWAYS power down all devices before plugging and unplugging Firewire. It's advertised as hot pluggable, but there is 12V on 2 of the 6 pins. One accidental insertion backwards or cockeyed in the port can short the 12V momentarily to a data line, (it's all too easy to do esp. as the FW connections get worn and loosened) and you can fry the Mac, the Drive and the Camera. I have seen this too many times with customers. Power Down Before Plugging/Unplugging.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Like most Firewire hard drives, the second FW port is for daisy-chaining another device, so you should be good with the camera.

A couple of pieces though:
The camera FW may or may not work correctly if the Firelight drive is turned off.

ALWAYS power down all devices before plugging and unplugging Firewire. It's advertised as hot pluggable, but there is 12V on 2 of the 6 pins. One accidental insertion backwards or cockeyed in the port can short the 12V momentarily to a data line, (it's all too easy to do esp. as the FW connections get worn and loosened) and you can fry the Mac, the Drive and the Camera. I have seen this too many times with customers. Power Down Before Plugging/Unplugging.

Thanks for the help... 'preciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.