firewall and anti virus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dontpanic, Nov 24, 2004.

1. dontpanic macrumors regular

could somebody recommend a good free firewall and or anti-virus program

also do i actually need either of these?

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can turn a firewall on via System Preferences/Sharing/Firewall. And you don't really need an anti-virus program, just be a smart user and download the latest updates from Apple. Aaah, the simple joys of being a Mac user! ;) :p :)

3. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Apple's builtin firewall is all you need. Go to System Preferences -> Sharing. If you want something a little more configurable, search for BrickHouse (I think that's the name). It's just an interface that allows you to configure more details of the builtin firewall.

As for anti-virus, I wouldn't bother. I have Virex as part of .Mac, but I never run it. There's just no need. I've read about a few proof of concept viruses/spyware, but that's about it. Nothing that's actually spreading in the wild. I'd hold off until news indicates that viruses are becoming a real problem on OS X. That may or may not ever happen.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Firewall as above.

I have Virex from .Mac too but only run it when I get a batch of Office files or attachments from a Windows environment just in case there's a Windows virus that I might accidentally propagate back.

5. dontpanic thread starter macrumors regular