firewall help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fossyy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. fossyy macrumors member

fossyy

As a relative new mac user i need help to deactivate what ever firewall is built into panther.
    I've just purchased sailing clicker and when i try to activate the serial number it fails and when i emailed sailing clicker they said to deactivate the in built firewall in panther but did not tell me how.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Go to system preferences>sharing then select firewall, and click the "stop" button. I didn't realize that the firewall was enabled by default.

3. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

why would a mac need firewall?? I thought it was hack-free as it is virus free...

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The firewall is there for those that are security-conscious. We might need it someday.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Definitely NOT hack free.

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

7. fossyy thread starter macrumors member

fossyy

Any other ideas

As people have posted the firewall was off already, any other ideas.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you have BrickHouse, any other Mac OS X firewall configuration tool, or any third-party firewall installed? If you do, disable those as well.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

HOW TO DETERMINE IF IPFW IS "ON"....

Technically, ipfw is always running. It's default state, "allow ip from and to any", is the equivalent of "off". To check and make sure it's on/off, open Terminal:

sudo ipfw l

That last thing is a lowercase L. If ipfw is "off", the output should look like this:

Code:
    yellow% sudo ipfw l
    65535 allow ip from any to any
    If it's anyting else, ifpw is "on". Do you have a router or something else with a hardware firewall that might be interfering? I find it rather unusual that a firewall is blocking your registration for this product.
    At this point, you might want to contact the developers for support.

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Mac's aren't hack free, they just are general more secure than what is out there. mac has create a perception of security and have built a reputation on relatively low security problems, but it still can be hacked.

you can also you user firewall to keep unwanted people from using your web server for example. granted your need some additional software unless you know to configure a unix firewall, but it has other uses than besides keeping "hackers" out.