Firewall Routers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brother Michael, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Hey all,
    Quick one here about Routers.

I have for some reason allowed myself to become well...stupid with routers. I bought one about 2 years ago and it worked. It was a basic NAT Router, but we never had any problems with it. Never let anyone through (my dad even had the network guys at his work bang on it trying to find holes.)

Well that router died in a lightening attack. sigh. Currently, I have a Linksys. And it works fine as well.

Ok here's where things get interesting. I went to Best Buy to play with cameras, and decided to look at the routers too. I wanted to get one with a 4port switch and a Wi-Fi.

In short, I was amazed at how many there were. I was overwhelmed. Ok, here's the one that hit hard for me though. There was one Router that stated specifically that it had a Firewall in it.

I thought they all did? Am I wrong? This really puts me a in state of worry right now, as my plan was to get a router for at school set it up in my dorm and have my PC and Mac behind it, with their respective firewalls off so that I could freely fileshare between them. This throws a small wrenge in my plans (not a large one, I can live with having software firewalls on as well). But now I am very confused about this router stuff.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

If you want a good flexible router, get a D-Link DI-624. I have one, and it is very easy to set up, has a good customisable firewall, and a whole bunch of other features.

3. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Ok I will look into that one! I knew someone here would be able to help me!

Thank you!
    Mike

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

All routers have NAT, but NAT is not the same as a Firewall.

With NAT (Network Address Translation), your router is the only device on your network with a public IP address. Your computers only have local IP addresses. Since your computers don't have public IP addresses, no one on the Internet can connect to them (how can you send a packet if no address?) They can connect to your router, but you can configure it to ignore connection requests or not.

Firewall is more than that. Firewall monitors traffic coming in for certain types of typical Internet attacks such - denial of service etc. and logs them or notifies you if you are under attack. Reverse firewalls can also stop progs on your computer connecting to the outside (such as viruses or spyware)

Just plain NAT is safe enough for everyday use.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

So, can anyone here tell me if the Airport Extreme base station works as a router and has NAT? I’m confused with the things I read here and there, but I just want to know.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, AirPort has NAT, I think it assigns 10.*.*.* LAN addresses by default (I don't have an AirPort so I'm not sure exactly).

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

What is with not using the old 192.168.*.* format?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

9. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I didn't say you were wrong edesignuk, I just asked why the AirPort units don't follow the normal numbering system for private networks.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know mate, I was just amazed that I was actually right about it :).

11. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Wow, thats a rare occasion. You got something correct.
    Okay, that wasn't very funny.

12. Celeron macrumors 6502a

If you want a good router, with a firewall that won't cost you any filesharing grief, check out the Linksys WRT54G. It goes for under $60 regularly in the Sunday ads at places like Compusa/Circuit City/BestBuy. It gets frequently updated firmware and mine has been rock solid.

I highly recommend it.

13. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I'd get a second one if you can afford it. It runs Linux, so it can be hacked to do some cool stuff.

14. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I saw that on Tech TV.

Actually, I was thinking about dropping some money on an Airport Express.

Reasoning, when I come home during breaks I have to drag a cord up the side of the stairs to my room where my toys are. Mom HATES this. So spending some money on Airport Express isnt a bad thing.

Now, besides cost/do I really need it? (I am not home THAT often) there is one other reason why I do not want an Airport. IF I go AE I have to get a Wireless card for my Dell. I don't mind this EXCEPT it will require me to fill up my last expansion slot. Problem (maybe), I have a PNY GeForce FX 5200 Video card, it has a little fan on it. Is that thing blowing warm air on another card (like a Soundblaster 5.1 card) a problem? Will that damage the Video card (too hot) or the whatever car is right after it?

Mike

15. numark macrumors member

If the card is a problem, why not go with a USB wireless adapter? They seem to work better than the PCI card versions on desktops, because you can move them around if you're getting interference from something. You can also quickly unplug it and attach it to someone else's computer if they need to get wireless access at your room quickly.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

These are router/firewalls

http://www.netgear.com/products/routers/firewallvpn.php

http://www.netgear.com/products/routers/firewallvpn_comparisonchart.php?view=

which provide another layer beyond NAT, and also have some keyword/content filtering (may require a yearly subscription to keep the db updated).

At one time NAT was not marketed big time as a firewall, NAT was a NAT router and firewalls were much more than just NAT, until people realized the need for firewalls. Then anything with NAT all of a sudden became a firewall.