Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
so could it just have been a scrap from Apple?

if so...maybe someone stole it & is selling it?

or maybe it's a leakout... :confused:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Well at least this information was not from SpyMac, so it must be real :) .

It would be interesting how many other companies who sell CD and DVD writers/burners integrate Firewire 2 and/or USB 2 into their products.

Does Firewire 2 come Bluetooth compatible, so that you can plug and go portable?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
Well it certainly looks copulatory with the Firewire 2 connector.

Gigawire would be good. I noticed in the PDF that it mentions "DTV" as an application. Does this refer to digital video? I figure it doesn't mean that you can hook your satellite dish up to it. :D ;)

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
OK, this is definitely not a standard motherboard.. and the color and the extra memory slot are two easy to spot proofs. The question about what is that port between the two FireWire ports and the Ethernet. I would be inclined to belive it to be a combo video output port like what's on the iBook and iMac, because Apple can accomodate old Fireware 1394a through a new port with the adaptor cable.. and why only one 1394b port if that's what it is?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra

Does Firewire 2 come Bluetooth compatible, so that you can plug and go portable?

I'm curious as to what you mean by that. how can firewire be bluetooth compatible. They are completely separate connection standards, and firewire 2 has a data transfer rate some 800 time higher than bluetooth.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Yeah, that Bluetooth question I asked...forget about it.

I meant that in regard with people asking about Bluetooth and the iPod. If a future iPod has Firewire 2, how does Bluetooth work?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: That's std. FW on the "server"

Originally posted by mischief
sorry guys.

next to the standard firewire...

There are 2 usb, 2 firewire, unknown port, and Ethernet.

The unknown port looks like 1394b. Reload the image... I've circled the suspect port.

arn

cp21yos

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
Sydney
Oh no...

Has anyone noticed that by my rough calculations (being in Sydney, Australia not helping) the auction ends during Steve's Keynote at WWDC!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I just compared the keynote time to the eBay date:

Keynote: 14:00:00 (unsure of time zone)
eBay sale: 18:15:00 EST

It does seem interesting, but it could be a coincidence. Count on anything at WWDC.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Oh, I am SO glad I got a look at that thing straight away because now:

"The item you requested ( 2020903080 ) is invalid or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has expired and is no longer available."

:(

It was good while it lastest.... all hail the "mothership"
;)

Wildcat

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Eugene, OR
Did anyone else notice the copyright date on the PDF file supplied about firewire 2 is november 13 2000. It also says that virtually all VCR's, DVD's, and DVT's will have firewire a by 2002. Correct me if I am wrong but we are in 2002 and I dont think I have seen many units with firewire compatability other than standard DV cameras.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by Wildcat
Did anyone else notice the copyright date on the PDF file supplied about firewire 2 is november 13 2000. It also says that virtually all VCR's, DVD's, and DVT's will have firewire a by 2002. Correct me if I am wrong but we are in 2002 and I dont think I have seen many units with firewire compatability other than standard DV cameras.

Wow, the turn of the millennium was that long ago? :)

But there are some units with Firewire ports, such as CD-RWs and Hard Drives (where would I be with USB?). However, these new appliances started using USB 2.0 BEFORE any Apple product was officially released with USB 2.0, as far as I know.

So that means that sooner or later future appliances may have this FireWire 2 technology built in. And we still have some time to go before we see 2003.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Hmmmmmm...........

The conservative bet is that it's a modem.

But it's hard to see from that angle.:confused:

Why would they have a soldered modem on a server? Compared with the 1394b port, the height/width doesn't seem right for a modem.

First real dose or true rumor madness in a while! :)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Point well taken, Wildcat.

But I chose to address the issue further for certain possibilities/options that may pop up.

I would like to see Firewire capability with a VCR to a Mac so I do not need to keep watching Hostile Waters on the VCR! Maybe I can record the movie (I cannot buy the DVD for it, because I do not think there is a DVD version).

300 posts and still counting.

Wildcat

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Eugene, OR
I was not trying to argue that connections from various devices ( VCR's) to PC's will never occure. I was just trying to piont out this odd date on this PDF. Take it to mean whatever you will. Ohh yeah Macs Dont have USB 2 compatability yet. But yes there are some devices out there that are USB 2 copatable. And I don't even think that firewire b is even a standard yet.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Hmmmmmm...........

The conservative bet is that it's a modem.

But it's hard to see from that angle.:confused:

But look at it in relationship to the network plug - the rj45 outlet is just a little bit bigger than a modem - and the plug in question is tiny, smaller than the standard firewire. The pdf says its 8mmx5mm, that is small and its about what we're seeing. I'd place a bet that its 1394b.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
perhaps another thread in another forum...

Originally posted by King Cobra

...Wow, the turn of the millennium was that long ago?...

No. The turn of the millennium was a year and four months ago.

EXAMPLE:
B.C.--A.D.
3,2,1,1,2,3 --> 2001 = 2000 years

They skipped year 0.
B.C.--A.D.
3,2,1,0,1,2,3 --> 2000 = 2000 years

Jan. 1, 2001 is the first day of the new millennium, just as Jan 1, 3001 will be the turn of the next millennium.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.