Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I still think that it has to be firewire 2. We know that it isn't far from being ready to come out, and it would be silly for them not to have it on test mobos.

It even has that same funny indent down the top.

I vote that it's firewire 2.

But, is it live or is it memorex? Or in this case photoshop?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by mcrain
But, is it live or is it memorex? Or in this case photoshop?

Could be, but I would say no. All the factors of this recent discovery all point towards something real, although anything's possible.

If this was a joke, it'd be one sick, sick joke…

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
FW2

AKA Gigawire.

Yeah.......that was it.

I've seen this before in a retrofitted 9600 chassis. didn't know what I was looking at then but learning about things recently have put it's bugginess in prespective. That rev was from a year ago..........:eek: :cool: :D

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
just a question...

Isn't the processor a bit too slow for a demo? I mean, we are all talking about (dual) 1.5 gig in the next G4/G5.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Okay...

I too think that connector is FW2/Gigawire (I still hate to call it that since I really thought by the WordMark text Gigawire would be something else) but anyway... FW2 ... Now if it is a FW2 connector what is Apple gonna use to demo it? I mean Steve would look pretty silly talking about FW2 and the speed it brings to the platform and then have nothing available to show how useful it is. They better not bring out some $5,000+ digital video cam with a FW2 connector since that would be a pretty lame demo and besides that, I'm not even sure current DVCams even max out the current FW bus. Does anyone know for sure?

Cisco has been a name that kept popping up when Gigawire was talked about... Could Apple be in a position to finally provide IP over FW? This is something PeeCee users have been doing for quite some time but for some strange reason Apple has left that space to 3rd party developers and lets face it - if Apple doesn't roll it into the OS 'most' will not adopt it.

5 new G4s networked via FW2 over glass fiber and the max speed available (1.6 or 3.2) That sure would be a cool demo... (for for folks like me) but even I will admit that it won't 'ring the bell' for most.

The initial FW demo was done with a DVCam (1st demo) and then a pocket drive bus powered (2nd demo) and I still remember how 'effen' cool it was that MacOS didn't crash when Steve pulled the plug from the drive and the system that was playing the movie just paused. That alone 'sold' me on FW.

FW2 brings a ton of speed and even distance (and slower speeds) to the table... I'd just love to know how Steve will show it off...

Dave

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
VGA???

I think NOT.

there's no GPU on that mobo. Not to mention how lame it would be to put an iBook VGA in a rack.

FW 2 makes the most sense.:D

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Firewire2, 1394b, gigawire. If they are all the same thing (the first two are for sure), it will surely be adopted. The fact that the PDF is old just shows how freakin long it takes for everyone to agree on a new standard. The port on the board does look like the new FW2 port, and for those interested the connector designs were even published in Macworld a few months ago, so I don't think that there's anything revolutionary here except that Apple is having a tough time keeping it's prototypes and testbeds securely locked up in Cupertino.
Firewire2 is not just meant for DV cameras which work just fine on 1394a, but for the future cameras that will run in HD, and for cluster compouting.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
Re: Re: Hmmmmmm...........

Originally posted by mc68k
Why would they have a soldered modem on a server?
Backup. It's not unusual for a server to have a modem so it can dial in if the net connection via ethernet goes bad. However, I think this looks more like the FW2 port from the PDF than RJ-11.

p03

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2002
oio
You guys are beyond hope.

You guys are beyond hope. Gigawire has nothing whatsoever to do with FireWire 2: why would they rename FireWire, especially in a misleading fashion (there's nothing "giga" about it)?

Also, you look up the trademark description for Gigawire: it's clearly wireless.

And that's a VGA connector. Learn to live with it.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: You guys are beyond hope.

And that's a VGA connector.
A VGA connector? Did you compare the connector with the Firewire 2 port that arn provided? Why would they have a soldered in VGA connector? Only on laptops, 8600 desktop machines and below do/did they have soldered VGA connections.
Learn to live with it.
Strong words from a newbie. Bring your skepticism somewhere else and stop trying to cause a flame war.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: You guys are beyond hope.

Originally posted by p03
You guys are beyond hope. Gigawire has nothing whatsoever to do with FireWire 2: why would they rename FireWire, especially in a misleading fashion (there's nothing "giga" about it)?

Also, you look up the trademark description for Gigawire: it's clearly wireless.

And that's a VGA connector. Learn to live with it.

The pictures in the 1394b PDF clearly show a port that is identical to the one on that board. Please supply a picture of a VGA port scaled to match a current Firewire port for fair comparison. I can go around saying it's a p*nis enlarger port, but saying don't make it so...learn to live with it.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
TAKE A SCREENSHOT

(this refers to a statment I read one page one) I wish I could see the motherboard.... someone should have saved the picture.... WHY DIDN'T THEY!? Or they should have taken a screenshot of the screen (by pressing COMMAND(apple)+SHIFT+3) Then you can e-mail it to people who want it. Apple can take away the site but not your image!:(

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: TAKE A SCREENSHOT

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
(this refers to a statment I read one page one) I wish I could see the motherboard.... someone should have saved the picture.... WHY DIDN'T THEY!? Or they should have taken a screenshot of the screen (by pressing COMMAND(apple)+SHIFT+3) Then you can e-mail it to people who want it. Apple can take away the site but not your image!:(

Look around man. arn's post leading off this thread has a picture, so do several other threads about this mobo...

Do some research before you go off on a rant!

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Re: TAKE A SCREENSHOT

Originally posted by LimeiBook86

This is a wonderful first post... Two thumbs up! :rolleyes:

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Getting back on topic...

Originally posted by LethalWolfe
DV is 36 Mbps (FW is 400Mbps).

Thanks Lethal... I kinda thought FW supported speeds much faster than DVCams... Now back to the question at hand...

Since nothing (that I know of) comes close to maxing out 1394a (400Mbps) what would Steve use to really show of the power of 1394b (800/1600/3200Mbps)? The only thing I can think of would be networking over FW. The problem with that is Apple doesn't support IP over FW (yet).

This would be a really cool feature for 10.2 and my fingers are crossed but other than that what else could Steve/Apple use to show off the power of FW2?

Dave

willmore

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2002
West Lafayette, IN
Many More Uses

Originally posted by iH8Quark
Well it certainly looks copulatory with the Firewire 2 connector.

Gigawire would be good. I noticed in the PDF that it mentions "DTV" as an application. Does this refer to digital video? I figure it doesn't mean that you can hook your satellite dish up to it. :D ;)

FireWire has grown substantially in the past few years in its number of applications, partially due to its bandwidth and overall market acceptance. FireWire has in the past been considered a possible addition to ReplayTV/TiVo-type devices, DTV, and such, although something in the back of my head tells me that the bandwidth needed for full-blown HDTV would take more than FireWire 1 could provide. Also, FireWire has been touted as the perfect stereo cable, replacing copper, RCA composite, optical, etc.

If you remember when FireWire was just being discussed, it was the "magic bus." The "magic" part became from its ability to serve as a bus between anything; computer to keyboard/monitor/camera/printer/stereo/etc., hard drive to TV, TiVo to TV, etc. The list goes on and on. What we're seeing now is the gradual realization of that grand scheme.

lucs

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Chicago
dude, totally

i mean, dude, it just makes so much sense for Apple to release firewire 2 in the coming months. All we have to hope for is that 3rd party hardware developers also start using it....

but then again, we all know that Apple is not the kind of company that abides, its the kind that makes everyone else adapt to their way.

It's like that Limp Bizkit song, "i'm gonna do things my way, things my way, my way or the highway"

btw, limp bizkit rocks ass.

lucs

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Chicago
dude, totally

i mean, dude, it just makes so much sense for Apple to release firewire 2 in the coming months. All we have to hope for is that 3rd party hardware developers also start using it....

but then again, we all know that Apple is not the kind of company that abides, its the kind that makes everyone else adapt to their way.

It's like that Limp Bizkit song, "i'm gonna do things my way, things my way, my way or the highway"

btw, limp bizkit rocks ass.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Let me make a few replys.

First to lucs:
Limp Bizkit is a cool artist. I am even playing that song right now.

Second to lucs:
Limp Bizkit is a cool artist. I am even playing that song right now. :)

Third to the guys in the previous page about the turn of the millennium:
I knew that the mil. changed from 2000 to 2001. My comment about it being that long ago was supposed to mean that I was living in the previous millennium that short while ago. Time seemed to soar.

I have heard rumors about this Firewire 2 being as fast as 800Mbps. How fast is it really?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
Re: Many More Uses

Originally posted by willmore

FireWire has grown substantially in the past few years in its number of applications, partially due to its bandwidth and overall market acceptance. FireWire has in the past been considered a possible addition to ReplayTV/TiVo-type devices, DTV, and such, although something in the back of my head tells me that the bandwidth needed for full-blown HDTV would take more than FireWire 1 could provide. Also, FireWire has been touted as the perfect stereo cable, replacing copper, RCA composite, optical, etc.

The compressed form of HDTV will fit nicely inside the bandwidth of Firewire. The ATSC form of digital television we are using here in the US is MPEG2 based and is only 25 to 50Mb/s. I can't remember the exact number. I've heard about plans to record the compressed HDTV signal directly to mini DV cassettes or digital VHS for some time.

p03

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2002
oio
So I'm a newbie LOL

Okay, just because I'm a newbie at a... cough second-rate rumors site, I don't know anything.

So let's see... Apple includes a FireWire 2 slot. FireWire 2 is compatibe with "legacy" FireWire. So why include two "legacy" FireWire ports as well?

Then... You guys say, why have a laptop VGA port on a desktop motherboard?

Well... How about "to save space"? Here's the iMac's MiniVGA port. Here's the iBook's.
And this is the current PowerMac's back panel. Not exactly the same, though similar somewhat.

I'll eat crow if that port turns out to be a FireWire 2 indeed... But please, at least forget about GigaWire... That ain't FireWire 2! (Or triple crow for me, we'll see.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.