Firewire 2... Not Yet?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, May 23, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Newsfactor has a story about Firewire 2 (1394b) and Apple:

"If I were to venture a guess, I would guess that Apple will include 1394b as soon as silicon is available. Apple's history as an innovator, and its commitment to FireWire would support this supposition," James Snider, executive director of the 1394 Trade Association, told NewsFactor.

Rumor has it that Apple will introduce new professional desktops at July's Macworld Expo in New York, paving the way for a FireWire revision. But Apple may not be able to finalize 1394b silicon in time to ship the systems by July.

Snider told NewsFactor that the necessary silicon will not be available until the "end of the summer at the earliest."

Which means that Firewire 2 might not make it into new machines... or that new machines won't be available for some time after MacWorld NY.

2. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

3. macrumors 6502a

robotrenegade

I would love to get my hands on firewire 2. Does anyone have an idea what the new case of the G4 will look like?

4. macrumors 68000

Falleron

It looks like it will fit nicely in with the release schedule for Jaguar!!

5. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It does?? From the sounds of it FW2 won't make it by the time Jaguar's out... I wonder, will Jaguar have FW2 support before they release it in the hardware...

6. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think Jaguar would have support for FW2 because it has been in development for a few years now, so I am pretty sure it will support FW2. I hope Apple can release FW2 at MWNY, hell my school built a robot in under six weeks I am sure they can work under pressure.

7. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

The only problem with the gigastack is that if you daisy chain your 3500's with it, by connecting two switches to on gbic port, it then operates in half duplex mode, and you can not gaurentee qos over the link. You are better off buying the 1000base T gbics and using those, that way you don't have to purchase Cisco gigastack cables. Those yellow cables are expensive and are not pin compatible with firewire. Leave it to Cisco. You should see what they charge for Flash cards, it's outrageous. And memory.