Firewire 400 PCI Card for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lougle, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Lougle macrumors member

Hi all. I just bought a Power Mac Dual 2.7 G5 last week and am ready to add some more Firewire 400 ports via PCI. I pulled my USB 2.0 and Firewire cards from my Windows PC and although the USB card works great on the G5 the Firewire card doesn't fit! It is a Belkin F5U503. What is the best (compatible) Firewire 400 PCI card for my Mac? Thanks!

- Lou

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Just out of curiousity, are the supplied FW ports not enough bandwidth for you? You could add a hub to the existing ports to add more device, if you just needed more attachments and not more data bandwidth.

What are you doing with the machine that you need all the extra inputs?

3. Lougle thread starter macrumors member

The firewire port has enough bandwidth (as far as I know) and I am aware that Firewire devices can be chained together. I currently have a HD plugged into the ONE FW400 port in the back of my G5. I like to have my iPod cable (FW) and cable for video capturing pluged in and ready at all times. I don't like to use the front port much except for when I need to plug in a device quick that won't be used for long periods of time, I don't like the wire mess. I usually try to stay away from hubs becuase they usually need to be powered and I can use those outlets for other things.