Firewire 800 ExpressCard recommendations..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmccarten, Mar 17, 2007.

1. cmccarten macrumors member

I think the subject line says it all...
    I'm trying to keep the cost down, but I also don't really know what's available. Does anyone have any experience with particular brands or online stores?
    Please let me know...

2. JDN macrumors 6502a

Siig seem to be reliable and up to date with express card technology. Look around the net for customer reviews.

You could start here, it seems to be a comprehensive list. Then just find somewhere cheap to buy it.

http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/cons_wtb.jsp

3. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

I got the Siig card about a week ago. I have 3 FW800 drives connected on it (piggybacked). Works a treat :)

4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I actually never thought of FW800 Expresscards! I was about ready to sell my CD MBP and get a C2D because I need a FW800 port but I guess that can wait and I'll just get one of these. So, SIIG is the most reliable brand?

edit: 6502!? I didn't even know I was anywhere near it.

5. JDN macrumors 6502a

Siig seem to be very reliable. I know a few people with various of their express cards and all of them are very happy. Belkin is bound to be another safe bet.

6. cmccarten thread starter macrumors member

You're welcome!

7. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Haha! Yes, thank you! I will be saving LOTS of money by just making use of that expresscard slot.

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

C2D MBP Refurb Cost - CD MBP Sale Price = Cost of FW800 Card. No?

Wait. Are you saying you can't sell your CD MBP for only the difference in cost between the refurbished C2D model and one of those FW800 cards? I think you can and you are much better off with the all new ventilation system in the C2D MBP if you can swing it. Now would be a much better time to try this move than later after Santa Rosa is inside.

I think that even if the difference is a few hundred dollars more than the card costs, it would be way worth it to lose the CD MBP ASAP for that better vent system. :)

9. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Thanks! The ventilation system is a great point. But I'm just talking about FW800. Also, I figure if I sell my MBP now, the most I'll get is about $1400 or so. If I get a C2D, I won't get less than the 2.33 model, so that'll be $1000 more (or a little less with a refurb) that I'll have to spend just for the new ventilation, FW800, 64-bit...etc. I could just spend less than $100 for the ExpressCard. I'd much rather wait to see what kinds of updates the MBP will be getting in the future and maybe upgrade then if it's anything amazingly different.