FireWire 800 H.D.D Not Functioning.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Max Payne, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I bought a 500GB My Book Pro Edition external hard drive (HD). Link

I am using it with my MacBook Pro. I used USB 2.0 connection, which worked and installed the two softwares provided.

I connected the HD using firewire 400 and it worked, but when I connected the HD using firewire 800, it did not work. I tried a few simple changes, but nothing helped. Not working means not being identified by the OS and not showing in the disk utility.

Basically, USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 worked, without the need of any installation. Firewire 800 did not work at all.

Is this a normal or do I need a special installation technique or could this be a problem with my Mac?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

no thats not normal. FW800 on the my book should work just like anything else.

You didnt even need to install the two software on the drive, it works without that.

In fact one of those pieces of software actually stops the driving shutting down automatically when you power off - so it actually makes more sense to not install it.

Have you tried a different FW800 cable ?

3. Max Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 worked just fine. Only FW800 didn't.

I installed both and the drive still powers off when the HD is ejected.

No. Unfortunately, I only have the cable that came with the HD.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But does it automatically turn off when you turn your macpro off. With the software installed mine did not.

And it was an utter pain to remove the software afterwards too.

5. Max Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using a MacBook Pro. It switched off three times. Twice using USB 2.0 and when the HD is ejected and once using FW400 and HD ejected. I never tried turning off my MBP with the HD connected.