Firewire 800 hardware

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Megaquad, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I heard there already is some hardware for FW800, can anyone post some info or links about it?
    I am very interested in seeing FW800 hdd enclosure kit.

2. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

FireWire hardware ideas

The only FireWire 800 hardware that I am interested in now are the PCI cards and the cat-5 adaptors that can supposedly extend cable length to 100 meters. If FireWire networking is part of OS X.3 then we could have a home networking solution at business speed.

3. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

We all know that things like FW800 enclosures mean we can access drives quicker, but is there a product that we were unable to use because of limitations that FW800 will eliviate?

h

4. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Not yet

Acording to rumour, the next version of Final Cut Pro will feature FireWire 800 compatibility so maybe we will have new cameras and monitors with it.

5. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

a lot of drives cant even run at speeds needed to get transfer speeds worth firewire 800 you would need a fast hdd like 7,600 or 10,000 rpm or something. But Cameras, now thats good.

6. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

I heard you could do better HD camera stuff, is that not true? I'm not even sure what an HD camera is!!!:confused: I know what HD is, but...

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

What HD means

HD is used for Hard Drive and High Definition. There is a new DV format called DV 50 or something like that and it may debut in a FireWire 800 camera. There is also the XL1 series from Canon and word has it that it will receive a significant upgrade sometime in the future. I imagine that a lot of studio products would support it soon because it is capable of being stretched to 100 meters.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If the drive can't write that fast, what does it matter if the camera can dump that fast? You still have to write the camera data to disk, no? It's not like the camera data just flows in and sits somehow without being written (well, you could fill up your two GB of RAM pretty fast).

9. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Hard drives over FW

Good point. Maybe Serial ATA drives will not be as good on FireWire 400. I hope native FireWire drives appear. Those would be the best for recording video.

10. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

thats what RAM is for. thats also something XServe RAID can be used for. If you are spending lots of money on HighDef hardware, you are spending alot of money everywhere.

Also, remember Firewire does not require a host. This basically means you can connect two firewire800 enabled devices and take advantage of better speeds.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

RE: Cameras and FW800

I've heard that Panasonic will make DVCPro 50 decks that have FW800. DVCPro 50 is Panasonics propriatary pro DV format. I can't see MiniDV cameras getting FW800 'cause MiniDV doesn't come close to maxing out FW400. Full blown HD is way to big for FW800, but I think "broadcast" HD might[/b] be able to use FW800 (I can't remember though).

Lethal