Firewire and SVideo ports

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by oggangus, Oct 30, 2004.

1. oggangus macrumors newbie

Hi All, I would like some help setting up to use S Video & Firewire ports on a G4 400 Titanium PB, when I connect S Video output to TV the display is of Mac desktop background minus icons etc, and minus any other outputs such as DVD. With Firewire port I get zero, (connected to a standalone DVD recorder) using OSX 10.2.8, I can't seem to find information in Mac help etc. Be grateful for your assistance please.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

With S-video, your computer is using you TV as a second monitor, so what you are seeing is an 'extra' desktop. If you look in System preferences > Monitors, you can turn monitor mirroring on so that you see your desktop on the TV and on the computer at the same time. Alternatively, you can drag windows from your compter desktop onto the TV display by moving them off of the side of the computer screen - on one side, the window will them appear on the TV. Does that make any sense?

Can't help with the firewire question, sorry...

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

To follow up on what Gee said, a FireWire port is for sending raw data. It could be, and often is, a DV movie, but you need something on the other side to decode it. That could be a DV camcorder or an outboard DV transcoding box..sounds like you have a DV deck or camcorder. Once you have that hooked up to a monitor, you still won't see anything on it until you use an application to play your movie to it, such as iMovie, Final Cut Express/Pro, or SimpleVideoOut. Note that the s-video port is an output only, while the FireWire port is both an input and an output (but usually it can only be one at a time when using it for DV video).

4. oggangus thread starter macrumors newbie

Firewire and SVideo ports

OK, Thanks a lot for replies, I'll work with those for now. :)