Firewire between mac and winxp?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ltud, Feb 2, 2005.

1. ltud macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to transfer files from my 10.3 iBook to my WinXP PC. Has anyone had any success with this before?

Thanks,

Luke

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yes I had success although I was dissapointed with the speed. Only averaged 12-15 MB/s

It went something like,
    1. enable Firewire network device on PC
    2. enable ICS in WinXP and use Firewire network connection as the proxy. This is important because the XP machine will act as the DHCP server.
    3. Setup firewire network interface in OS X
    4. Boot PC first
    5. Boot Mac - should pick up an IP on the firewire interface given from PC, if not, check all settings and repeat.

Good luck to you.

3. ltud thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks maybe I'll try that . . .

Or maybe I'll just disconnect my cable modem from my PC and connect the two via ethernet.

Thanks for the quick answer

4. brap macrumors 68000

Don't do this if you're on a University campus. Or any other situation where DHCP is already being used... go to the TCP/IP settings in the properties pane, and set it's IP manually. Then give your FW interface on the Mac an IP on the same subnet.

I used to use this with my iBook... disappointing transfer rates overall. Little or no gain over Base100T.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Good point - I was just trying to give the easy way ;) In fact, now that I think about it, I think I did it this way cause I never got DHCP to work.

PS - rumor has it that FTP will transer files faster over the same network connection (firewire or ethernet). I haven't validated this is true, but many people use FTP instead of Windows file sharing.