firewire cable at wal mart?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by coday182, Dec 24, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I just got my early christmas present and its a JVC mini dv camcorder. Nothing fancy but it's just for fun so thats alright. Well it didn't come with a firewire cable and the only place open on christmas eve is wal mart. Do you think they would have the right cable there?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Check their website. Otherwise maybe a radioshack or a bestbuy [which if there is one in your area, I'm guessing would be open].

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If they sell camcorders I'm sure they sell a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.

4. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

ok i did some research and i found out taht ilink, DV, and firewire are all the same name for different things so i'll know that when i go. but what i dont understand is if 90% of computers require this type of connection for video cameras, then why don't they ship the cameras with a cable in the box?

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

No idea. I thought it would be price, but 20 dollars isn't much at all.

6. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Same reason why printers don't come with USB cables..to save them money and make you pay more.

7. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

Just another way for the man to get us down, huh? lol. I wish a damn wal mart would open. :mad:

8. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Careful, though, I bought a cheap firewire cable from somewhere and it doesn't work so hot anymore, last thing you want when transfering a ton of video is for the signal to drop out and you having to jiggle the wire to get it back on...

9. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Hope that's not common, I have bought a few firewire cables on eBay for a few bucks, the thick grey shinny kind, and use them with my Sony DV camera, so far no issue that I have noticed.