Firewire Cable (Macbook)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hicks., Oct 14, 2006.

1. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

I received my brand new white macbook yesterday :) (so much to do, and so little time!).

I want to transfer data from my pc laptop to the 6 pin firewire port of my macbook. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a firewire port. So, can you buy a 6 pin firewire cable to ethernet cable? :confused:

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Even if you can, it would be pointless and probably very expensive. What you can get, however, is an ethernet crossover cable. This allows you to directly connect one computer to another without a router. Then you'll have to share the HD on one and access it with the other.

David

3. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Firewire and ethernet are 2 different technologies so they can't be mixed. Best option is mentioned by the first reply in that you should use an crossover ethernet cable. You can also just connected them both to the network via a router and transfer things that way.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You won't need a special crossover cable, any Ethernet cord will do. The Mac (and possibly also the PC) will automatically negotiate that.

5. MikeyWord macrumors newbie

If the PC has a new-ish ethernet card it will negotiate a normal (blue) ethernet cable without a switch or a hub. However, most on-board ethernet chipsets still dont do it. Im not sure about laptops, but my 1-2 year old motherboard in my tower still wont do it.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

All late model Macs have auto MDIX, so it doesn't matter if the PC can.

7. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I have a yellow ethernet cable (I normally use it to connect my xbox to my wireless modem).

Seems to fit both my pc and macbook..... What do I do next!? I have read the macbooks help section although it hasn't helped me.

8. MikeyWord macrumors newbie

Aha! Dig it

9. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

An update to my issue!

On my pc I've set up a folder on my desktop that I've tried to share by going into the properties of it. When I enable sharing on the folder it states something along the lines of the server service is not enabled.... I've googled this but it hasn't helped me. Is it something to do with the firewall on my pc?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, else I'll have to buy a flash drive and transfer them manually......

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Windows-to-OS X networking guide here might help you out.

For ad hoc file transfers like this, I usually go in the opposite direction: enable Windows sharing on the Mac, then open the Mac share back on the PC and push the files over. It seems to be less hassle that way.

11. Gee macrumors 65816

Open up System Preferences, select the Sharing pane, and the Services tab. Switch on windows sharing. Enable Accounts (not quite sure what this does), then go to the PC and open Windows Explorer. Type in whatever address it shows in the Service tab on the Mac. Sorted. Probably.

12. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

I've set up the macs system preferences. I've managed to get the pc to actually file share (I found that setting under computer management/ services and applications).

I know what the mac is called (Jason's mac :) ) but where do i type that information in on the pc?

Oh and I've tried to use the apple button + 'K' to connect to server but it won't :mad:

13. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Eureka!

I've got it working at last. Basically the ''smb://192.168.1.3/'' setting didn't need anything else after it!

Thanks for your help guys :)