Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
May be someone here has a clue as to why on earth only super hi-end, super expensive digital cameras have Firewire ? I am tired of this ! Apple may be should start making them... Note that I cannot believe cost is a factor.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Firewire digital camera

Originally posted by windwaves
May be someone here has a clue as to why on earth only super hi-end, super expensive digital cameras have Firewire ? I am tired of this ! Apple may be should start making them... Note that I cannot believe cost is a factor.

Size and compatibility I'd assume. Everyone has USB but not everyone has FW. And I don't think camera makers want to waste space by adding a port that most of their consumer base doesn't have.

Lethal

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
hi-end super expensive means professional. i think that it would be an idea if apple would enter the digital camera market seeing as they already have a digital video camera (iSight) and software for a digital camera (iPhoto).
It would most likely be consumer though. Apple has already previously had digital cameras, but that was before my computing days.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
If a camera has USB 2, then every computer can read it and new computers can read it fast.

With firewire only new computers can read it fast and old computers (or ~2 year old PC's) can't even read it.

What I really want to know is why do people plug their camera directly into the computer? I use a $15 micro reader that can be read without software on most of my friends' computers (windows XP of course). Doesn't run down the batteries, no cords to worry about, and I can take pictures while transfering another card.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
Lethal,
yep, I would think size and compatibility are plausible reasons. As far as I know, all the cameras that do have FW tend to be relatively bigger. And certainly FW is not that popular yet, but it is cheap (now) and somewhat popular at least in the "video" world.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
Card readers are certainly an option, especially since they make some which are indeed FW and not necessarily too expensive. In fact the only reason I have not one yet is because I have been convinced that at least a "pro-sumer" camera would be around the corner with FW. Readers are nonetheless another piece of hardware and too me it does not add much to practicality. More stuff on your desk and also, note that you still need another cable except that instead of going from camera to pc it goes from the reader to the pc. At least the cable for my camera I keep it in a drawer :)

Sony, which has been a pioneer in FW products, just introduced their top of the line pro-sumer camera WITHOUT FW and this is why I am now less convinced they are indeed around the corner. May be I should get one of those readers !?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by acj
If a camera has USB 2, then every computer can read it and new computers can read it fast.

With firewire only new computers can read it fast and old computers (or ~2 year old PC's) can't even read it.{B]

not true about either. first, this is kinda a given, but not all computers ever have USB. most do, but some older ones still have serial.
My friend has had her PC for about 3 years and she has a firewire port that she didn't even know what it was.

also, i just want to add, if apple did come out with a hi end digital camera like windwaves said, then it would be a professional and most people who are professional photographers probably don't have computers that are more than a few years old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.