Firewire enclosure - help me quick!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AppleMatt, Jul 10, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I need a FW enclosure to put an external DVD burner in, that will be detected by disk utility (important part).

If I buy a Formac CD-RW one, and stick a NEC DVD burner in it, will it work?

Quickly, the auctions about to end and I wanna save some cash! (Generic FW enclosures are going for £10 more)

AppleMatt

2. macrumors regular

most people here said it should work, if not to use something called patchburn (google search it apparently) also said stick with sony and pioneer for the drives if you can, I haven't done it yet though if you do get a NEC tell me how that goes :) I'm looking at Benq and LG for mine or maybe lite on

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Does here mean MacRumors forums? I did a search but didn't come up with anything specific.

I'm a bit worried about this thread;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50688

I think I'll just buy a usual one, I've asked around and no-one seems to be able to confidently say "yes it will work".

AppleMatt

4. macrumors regular

yeah, here means macrumors

I posted a similar thread earlier, if you want try and find it and see what they said there

5. macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I took a generic external case and put in a Pioneer 104. It works fine with toast. iDVD, Disk Utility et all needed a patch to work.

I did get it to work.