Firewire Enclosures? Serial ATA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jaw04005, Apr 19, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have a Maxtor 7500 RPM Serial ATA drive, and I am wanting to put it in a firewire 400/800 enclosure, however it has a Serial ATA interface instead of IDE. Are their any cases available that convert Serial ATA to Firewire, yet? Also, would I receive a considerable benefit using a FW800 case, or should I just purchase ar FW400 case ?

Josh

2. DarylF2 macrumors member

NewEgg.com has some SATA-SATA enclosures (to convert an internal SATA drive into an external SATA drive). I haven't seen any enclosures to convert an internal SATA drive into an external FW400 or FW800 drive, though.

I'd be interested in one as well, though.

3. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah. I have a Powerbook so the external SATA would not help. Its odd that they aren't making SATA to FW800 yet.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not that odd; SATA drives are more expensive than PATA ones, and there's really no speed benefit with current FireWire technology, so the only reason to have a SATA-FW case is for people like you, who already have a "leftover" SATA drive with no external place to put it.

At this point you're probably out of luck, though I expect we'll start to see cases at some point.