Firewire HD and XP

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SerratedX, Apr 7, 2004.

1. SerratedX macrumors newbie

Okay, So I have an old Powerbook that a friend gave me that has files he wants back. Probably Pr0n or something. And he totally busted the LCT screen and doesnt feel like paying to get it all fixed. So the question is, Can I start it in Firewire HD mode and have it show up in XP? I know I can get the cable from school and I know what one to get. And if so, what is the key to hold durring start-up to get it into Firewire HD mode?

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Offhand, I don't see why this wouldn't work. Target Disk Mode simply turns the computer into a FireWire hard drive, so in theory, yeah, it should work. To start up a computer in Target Disk Mode, hold down the t button, then the power button.

3. jamall macrumors regular

It wouldn't work because the drive is in HFS format which Windows can't read. You'd need to install MacDrive on the PC before it could recognise the disk. If you have access to another Mac it might be easier (and cheaper) to use target disk mode to get the files onto it and then burn them to CD.

4. SerratedX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats why I was asking. In theory it would work and with the format of the HD, I didnt know if there was a way to get around it. Anyway, If I had another mac, I would do it. and I don't dare try to look it all up at school.

Edit: What about TransMac http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10256283.html?tag=lst-0-2 Do you think that would work?

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think FW target disk mode requires both computers to be running at least jaguar. so i don't think it will work with XP, even if conceptually, the Mac should just become a FW disk...

for example, i don't think the Mac to become a FW HD will mount even if the other machine is a Mac but is running OS 9, nevermind an XP computer...

edit: nevermind, i was wrong, target disk mode works with Mac OS 8.6+ on the host. apple knowledge base document doesn't mention windows, so it may be worth a try, but i wouldn't count on it...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

6. SerratedX thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing mounted and I tried both MacDisk and Trans Mac. They bot say that they carry the compatibility to read HDS or whatever the file system was. And I also hear my computer ring when the Pbook is pluged in Via Firewire. So I know it is there and I know the computer knows that it is there. it is just a matter of finding where it is...

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

is there a way to connect using an ethernet cable?

8. SerratedX thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get a router and PCMACLAN but the problem is, the LCD display on the iBook (jsut found out it is an iBook not a pbook) is busted and I cant get my file romotely like that can I?

Edit: I don't understand why this isnt working. It should act like an external HDD and I have MacDrive and Transmac so it should read the file system! Grr...

9. SerratedX thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I got it to work. Dont exactly know what was wrong. I think it was a RAM issue. When I opened the Ibook up the Ram was loose, put it back in, turned it on Target Disk Mode, and *pop* it showed.

Now another question. Does anyone think it would be possible to boot that on my monitor kinda like if I had a linux partition on my PC? just boot from the target disk?

10. legion macrumors 6502a

NO. You cannot boot OSX (or any Apple OS) on a PC. No way, no how. It requires the Apple ROM to run an Apple OS on a machine.

11. SerratedX thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured as much. I know there is some kind of hardware difference, but I jsut didnt know if you could run off the resources and just use the PC as a medium to go to the Monitor. No monitor so I cant use the OS. Aww well. I got my files now...