FIREWIRE HD suddenly disappear 10.4

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kelvinjohn, Mar 9, 2006.

1. kelvinjohn macrumors newbie

Hey guys whats up, I got a big problem with my 2 external HDs. FIrst of all I have G5 10.4.5 and I am using 2 seperate HDs, one is Lacie 500GB and 2 others are WD 160 GB but in the HD Enclosure. Couple of days back I put my first external 160GB in enclosure and turn it on, it did turn on but OSX gave me the error for INITILIZE,IGNORE & EJECT. I tried several times but same message pops up and the HD could'nt even load in the Disk utility as well. I thought it may be because the of WD HD problem. But today same thing happened with the 2nd HD for the same WD 160GB and gave me the same error and I couldn't use it at all. I have TechTool and Diskwarrior, tried both of them but none of them worked. I have a PC as well and I tried to plug in on to PC and WIn2K found the external HD but could not load as it wont be able to read the HFS. I use those HDs for my video editing and they have almost 5 days of work on them. If anyone has any suggestion regarding this problem, please let me know about it and how to resolve this situation in respect of saving my data as well. I will appreciate any help from you guys in thanks in advance.

2. Kup macrumors member

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. See my thread firewire hdd "not readable" or something like that. I'm in the same boat as you since I need this drive for editing.

3. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Try getting your Windows computer to read HFS, then make an attempt to salvage your data.

There's a free trial of a Windows program that allows you to work with HFS volumes here:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6//

Don't ask me if it works, cause I never used it. Guess you'll have to be the guinea pig...

Oh, and good luck.

4. kelvinjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bluebomberman, let me try it now and I will get back to you guys with the results. Thanks again for your help.

5. kelvinjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey dude whats up, I tried that Macdrive6 and got no luck on it as it is only kind of an explorer which can read the Mac HDs and files on PC, there is no option which says data recovery or damaged HD found in it. Its a good utility for browsing Mac HD on PC though. Im using 2 demo softwares on PC right now (Stellar Phoenix Mac and Nucleus Kernel mac) which are only showing the files not the directory structure and taking forever to search the files and they cost around $200-300 online. Anyways, I am trying it right now but if things wont work out I will format them eventually. Thanks for your help guys.

6. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I was hoping at the very least that you can copy your files from your HFS drives to the Windows computer, or to an additonal external hard drive connected to your Windows computer, or even to your Mac networked to the Windows computer.

You're not likely to find many cheap utilities that let you do advanced recovery procedures on an HFS drive from a Windows interface. (Thaere ain't much market for that.)

Keep us posted.

7. kelvinjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, its me again asking your help for different problem now which is related to the same problem I posted earlier. Now the problem is that I am not able to format those 2 corrupted HDs at all. Forget about the Mac as they are not mounting in OSX but the PC is looking at them but cannot be able to perform any disk services on it. I tried the WD utility for Low level format, it found the HD but again couldn't do anything. I got a software called KILLDISK which is specifically for Low level format, but that thing couldn't work again. Now any more suggestions if you have regarding the formatting or I will have to send those HDs back to WD as they are in warranty and the funny thing is that I received those HDs almost a month ago for the replacement of 2 other damaged HDs before but with different scenerio and on PC. Anyways, let me know if you have any advice for me and I will really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

8. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

:( Sounds more and more like they're dead.

There's really not much finagling you can do with hard drives; 99% of the time, they either work or they don't work. Considering that you've pretty much eliminated the 1% possibility that it was some kind of Mac interface issue or somethign even more obscure than that, I'd say you got two dead drives.

Hopefully the data isn't too important; data recovery services cost $$$.