Firewire HDD "not readable"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kup, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Kup macrumors member

Hello all, I plugged in my new OWC 250GB FireWire drive and was surprised to see that upon powering it on the drive would not mount. After a couple of attempts I got the message "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Not even disk utility will let me do anything with this drive. Actually, disk utility will let me eject it. Is it safe to say that the drive was D.O.A? I know DiskWarrior and others might work but I do not own any of them. This is the first time I have ever had a problem from O.W.C.

[​IMG]

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

4. Kup thread starter macrumors member

That is correct. I'm as baffled as you are.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unless it's not getting enough power (although it wouldn't normally behave like this). Is everything plugged in (PowerBook too)? Is there anything else plugged into the USB or Firewire ports? :)

6. Kup thread starter macrumors member

Everything is plugged in, and all cables are securely in place. The only cables I have plugged in are a DVI cable, an ethernet cable, and the firewire 400 cable for the drive since it won't even give me the original "not readable" message if I try to mount with firewire 800. I read on OWC's website FAQ section that the blue indicator light can still come on even if the drive is not fully plugged into it's power source. They said that the firewire bus can provide enough power to illuminate the light. I have the disks power cable snugly in place though. And if it was a loose power cable, would it still show up in disk utility? :confused: Thank you for trying to help.:)

7. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Sounds like it's *very* dead. What else can it possibly be?

Wish I could be more helpful, but there really isn't much to external drives besides plugging them in.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not usually, I was grasping at straws. Yeah, sorry, it sounds like it needs to be returned. :eek: