Firewire Internet being fickle

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 7on, Aug 3, 2006.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

At work I share my internet connection with a G5 tower to my Macbook (I prefer to have my Mail sync with my personal computer and not with a machine anyone at the university can access). Anyway, whenever I reboot my macbook (which has been frequent, come on 10.4.8 :D) I cannot for the life of me get the internet back up. It works fine before a reboot, I get blazin' fast internets - probably economy tubes. However, with a reboot I guess my tubes get all clogged and I can't get it to work again. Any advise to unclog the tubes?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

First, i'm suspicious of this blazin' fast internets thing. Are you running your tubes in parallel? It needs to be a series or all the bits will clog the plugs. If you're lucky you can work them out with a wire brush and soap, otherwise you'll need new tubes.

More seriously, you say it does work before a reboot, but somewhere in time you must have booted and got it working. What contortions are you going through to get the connection started before your MacBook needs a reboot? Also, is this a graceful shutdown or hard crashing on the MacBook?

3. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Well rebooting the G5 will get the firewire sharing working again and I turn it off at the end of the work day. I don't like rebooting the G5 because I'm usually working on it. If I have to do something to "Reset" the G5's network sharing then I could do that. I've tried turning off internet sharing/turning it back on, unplugging the FW cable, and unplugging the ethernet on the G5. I even plugged the ethernet to the macbook and tried to share the FW to the G5 - that time the MB got internet but not the G5. In all cases rebooting the G5 gets it back to work.

4. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Well This past weekend I've had to reinstall the OS to fix a different problem and apparently this internet fickle-ness has gone away.

Or someone poured liquid plumber on the G5 and that cleaned the tubes. either/or

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Oh, that's where this thread went! I actually tried this (FW LAN) with some machines running Tiger and couldn't reproduce it. Of course, I'm always careful to use Teflon tubing and hooked up a bleach drip to prevent algae growth.

The aggravating part about problems that get fixed by a reinstall is that you never really know what was clogged in the first place :(

6. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Indeed.

If it's any help here's how it's set up on the G5
    [​IMG]
    And here's the macbook
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]