FireWire Ipod cable and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPod' started by enter360, May 5, 2012.

1. enter360
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hello World,

I have a new Macbook Pro and a 4th Gen iPod touch. I am tired of taking so long to sync my iPod so I did some research and found a firewire 400 cable for an iPod and an adaptor from firewire 400 to 800. When I plug the iPod in to my MBP iTunes doesn't read the iPod. It does not show up any where. On the screen I get a warning that charging is not supported with this accessory. Other than that nothing happens. Does anyone know what could be going wrong ?

On a side note my iPod is a 64GB model and only shows 58GB capacity is that normal ? If not does anyone know how to do a master reset to get back to factory state ?

I have my iPod backed up so reseting it does't bother me if I can get the firewire issue fixed.

2. miles01110
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

miles01110

Firewire connectivity was removed/disabled years ago. You need a USB cable.

3. rbrian
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

rbrian

57.8GiB is perfectly normal. It all has to do with the way the bytes are counted. Binary counting leads to a Kibibyte with 1024 bytes. Decimal counting a Kilobyte has 1000 bytes. Scale up to the Gibibyte and Gigabytes and the apparent difference magnifies, but it's entirely illusory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

4. MagicBoy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The Firewire compatible iPods are the 1st to 4th Gen and the iPod Mini.

After that most charge via Firewire but require USB to sync with a host computer. Everything from the last few years is USB only and gives the "charging is not supported with this accessory" message.

5. enter360
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation guys. incase anyone was wondering it doesn't work with iexplorer either.