FireWire MacBook is #1 , rumor new Unibody MB with FW

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PracticalMac, Feb 21, 2009.

1. macrumors 68020

According to Amazon top selling notebooks, the white FW equipped MB is just above the Unibody MB (uMB) as Apples best selling laptop (#13 and #14 respectively, MBP is #21).

Of course the price is a major reason for the better sales, but it is easy to find dozens of posts by customer's who wanted to buy a new MB with FW, but because the new uMB did not have FW they had to choose something else, likely a FW-MB or PC notebook (which almost all but lowest end have FW).

In fact, the FW-MB is Apples #1 selling Mac, and is also on track to be the best selling single item FireWire equipped device (because it is the only consumer level OS X notebook, even though there is millions of FW devices sold every year).

Apple recently responded in a terse statement they will be "making more FireWire products", and images of the new MacMini seem to support it.

Word is Apple is scrambling to redesign the uMB with FireWire (presumably FW800) as quickly as possible. It may be offered as a high end MB.

One should ask why Apple would do a performance bump to the old white FW-MB to near the uMB speed, when it is being sold as a end of line low cost product. The performance of speed bumped FW-MB is close to uMB, and it does not make sense when a company wants to shift sales to a new model.

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Link?

Proof?

3. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Hilarious :D

4. macrumors 601

Seconded.

The Mac mini already has Firewire.

5. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think he means in the context of them having taken it away from the MacBook.

And OP... do you know WHY the white MacBook sells better than the aluminum ones?

BECAUSE IT STILL EXISTS. Because it is CHEAPER than the aluminum one. It really has NOTHING to do with FireWire.

I guess links to these people clamoring for FireWire are needed, too.

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You are aware that Amazon is but one reseller of Apple laptops. Yes?

Of course, Internet posts are completely representative of all users. Yes?

I'd say it's true because I saw it on the Internet but this seems to have been pulled out of your posterior.

ORLY?

There's that posterior thing again.

One might, most wouldn't. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 601

Krafty

8. macrumors 68040

It sells better because it costs $999 vs. $1299 for nearly identical specs.

Full stop.

Firewire 800 on the $1599 model methinks.

9. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

of course the White MB is better selling than the Unibody MB ... IT"S BEEN OUT A FEW YEARS LONGER THAN THE UNIBODY!! lol... awesome thread. :rolleyes:

firewire on the macbook is gone. i wouldn't sacrifice any of the current ports for a FW port.

the white macbook is an interesting thing tho... i wonder if they updated that system in order to sell the remaining plastic casings, because most people would have bought the Unibody before the White MB upgrade last month. who knows?!?

10. macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Heck if they're going to do that then Apple should also offer an optional anti glare treatment like the new 17-inch MacBook Pro as well as a better overall LCD panel than they are currently using in the unibody MacBook.

11. Guest

Sky Blue

hahahahahaha

no

12. macrumors regular

I thought exact the same thing when I checked the bestseller list. Two months ago the old Whitebook was ranked number 4 behind both unibody Macbook models and the MBP 15".
    Not to mention that a year ago Apple always had 5-6 models in the top ten, which is now completely dominated by netbooks!

Apple most likely lost hundred thousands of Macbook sales due to the omission of FW alone. Customers probably didn't go for the Pro upgrade as expected. To control the damage they silently updated the Whitebook.

Since money is the only language Apple understands, a fix of the FW issue is imminent.
    But they will do it Apple style. FW800 only for the speedier more expensive model. Maybe they will even call it Pro, so they can charge at least 100 bucks more...

13. macrumors regular

Firewire is dead, USB beat it. Apple gets this. Now you need to get it.

14. macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Instead of Firewire coming back Apple will probably remove yet another port in the next Macbook. I'll be here to swim in the ocean of fanboy tears when the next Macbook has no firewire and no ethernet port either :)

15. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Exactly. I don't think the white, classic MacBook is selling any better because it has Firewire -- it's because it's $300 less than the unibody. And average customers look at price, not to mention most of them don't even know what Firewire is.

16. macrumors 601

True, but the new Mac mini doesn't support that statement, unless he's referring to Firewire 800.

Two months ago the whiteBook wasn't updated. So basically the spec bump is a big reason for the whiteBook rising in the bestseller list. And I'm not sure how much sales they actually lost, given that the whiteBook used to be below both the MacBooks in the list (and the 15" MBP…).

A "MacBook Pro"?

;)

17. macrumors 6502a

ive never used a firewire port, ever. i dont get what the big deal is, USB killed it, and 3.0 will bury it, and pour cement over it :)

18. macrumors 601

I do have this thought though, that maybe in the spring unibody update (faster CPUs), the whiteBook will not be updated.

19. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

FireWire 3200 is still faster than USB 3.0.

20. macrumors Core

alphaod

Great another prediction based on nothing but imagination.

21. thread starter macrumors 68020

Re-read the post.

And this web sides is called MacRUMORS, that usually means something that has a good chance to happen but, no proof.

As much as I would like to find an online posting of Apple statement about "more FW devices", it is not.

Show me other web sites that show sales figures.
    Go ahead and link.

Look at Apples web site, look at all the independent web sites, you will easily find what I said is repeated many times, "I need FW in a MB, it does not have it, so I will not get it".
    It is your imagination that I am saying it represents ALL Mac users.

Oh, and if people want to see more comments, here is about 18,000 more (I am NOT saying it is honest and scientific, just it is something):
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?MB1394

Not everything is posted on the net. Give it a couple of months and come back to this.

Edit: Yes, the speed bump would cause better sales for FW-MB. I did fail to consider the time period of information, will see if I can get something

22. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I did, and I saw the same two unsubstantiated rumors that I saw the first time, sales data aside.

23. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I do a media course and I'm thankful to have both FW400 & 800, having to plugin an adapter just to import footage would get tiresome...

24. macrumors 68020

True, but there's a point where the average consumer doesn't give a squirt about the difference between two specs that are both already faster than they need.

25. macrumors 601

Really?

Data from online comments and forum postings are biased. And no, a larger sample size does not help.