Firewire manufacturers clearing stock...Firewire 2 soon?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Rower_CPU, May 23, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

A little far fetched, but who knows...

More channel clearing?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Firewire manufacturers clearing stock...Firewire 2 soon?

It doesn't follow that firewire manufacturers clearing stock means firewire 2 is coming anytime soon. After all, even after firewire 2 is introduced, there's three years of machines out there with firewire 1 on them, meaning the market for firwire 1 products is going to be larger than that for firewire 2 products for quite some time. Even if firewire 2 products will work with firewire 1 machines through backwards compatibility, as there would be no speed increase for their customers, they wouldn't feel pressure to get rid of all their firewire 1 products immediately. I'm not even sure firewire 2 devices are backwards compatible with a firewire 1 connection, though I'm pretty sure firewire 1 devices will work on a firewire 2 connection through an adadptor. its much mopre likely this simply means they have a bit of oversupply and are just getting rid of stock.

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

These are enclosures, though.

If they have new products coming out soon that maybe have both 1394 and 1394b, it would make sense to do this.

I don't seriously think this points to anything, but it's one possible interpretation.:)

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Thats a good point, and one I hadn't thought of. But like you, I think its more likely a business decision than a sign of new hardawre coming.

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i read somewhere that oxford may be updating their oxford 911 bridge chipset. since all the items you listed seem to involve ide to firewire conversion, this might be a sign of a updated bridge.