Firewire on a clamshell???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Feb 27, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Is there an clamshells out there that a) have a firewire port b)would run 10.2 in a respectabel manner, and c) take full advantage of a LaCie d2 external firewire 80 GB 7200 rpm hard drive??? it is for a dj. He wants to dj solely off a laptop, however the IBM laptop he has is crap.

If I could find a cheap enough clamshell that would do all these things, it would be great. Also if your selling a clamshell that does the above, let me know, and I'll pay cash.

Thanks

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

The later-series clamshell models did have firewire, at least on the SE models. But the speed of the processor will leave a lot to be desired. Also the 800x600 resolution won't be very good for audio apps, as they usually require a good amount of desktop space to be productive.

3. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

As posted above, the later Clamshells do have firewire. The processors on these models was only a 466mhz G3. I am currently running 10.2 on my early clamshell SE that is only 366mhz, so I can tell you from experience that its possible, but with the 800x600 resolution audio apps do get very frusturating. I would suggest one of the early Snow iBook's, they're a little quicker (500-600mhz), and have firewire plus a 1024x768 screen. They go for in between $800 and $1100 at http://www.powermax.com/.

Hope this helps

4. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know about the 800x600 deal... looks like ill start looking for a first gen snow

Thanks

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

You might want to look around for a first-gen TiBook, though. You can find them for about $1000. The screen and the G4 will be much better for audio apps than the first-gen Snow, although I do love the size of the iBook.

6. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

Micro Center had new 700MHz iBooks (the last model, I am guessing) for $900.