firewire pc card question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by f-matic, Apr 1, 2003.

1. f-matic macrumors member

hello everyone,

i'm thinking of adding a firewire pc card to my powerbook g3 lombard, ideally one that would also work with a powerbook 2400c. i'm a little confused about the whole pc card/cardbus thing though. i took a look at a local microcenter where the various firewire pc cards listed very different requirements - some os x only (i use os 9), some listed g3 as a requirement, etc. i've also heard that the lombard has some pc card issues with certain types of pc card.

anyone know or recommend a pc card that would work with both computers?

thanks in advance,
    np

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I can't help you with a specific PC card recomendation, but I can write that if it states g3 or better, that is should work with OS9.x.

As far as PC card issues, I haven’t read of any substantial problems. I do know that some of the early encrypted or "protected" memory cards didn't work with the Mac Os.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. f-matic thread starter macrumors member

thanks

i took at look at orange micro and you're right, g3 only. has anyone had any luck putting firewire on a pre-g3 powerbook? i figure the pc card architecture must be the same, right, or is there some other reason these things are g3 only (firewire speed or something?)...

best,
    np

5. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Re: firewire pc card question

I've just bought one for my PowerBook G3 (Lombard 400) - it was a generic PC one on eBay for about $12! Works flawlessly in 10.2.4 and even with the iPod.

Go check out out at www.ebay.com

6. steeleclipse macrumors 6502