FireWire Petition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rsamo, Feb 25, 2005.

1. rsamo macrumors member

For those of you who have not done so. Please go out and sign this petition to have Apple add FireWire back to iPod shipments. Trying to get PC users to adopt the Mac has always been something I have tried to do, but I do not like when Apple disgraces its Mac users in favor of possible PC users.

http://www.petitiononline.com/firewire/petition.html

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If this petition actually accomplishes anything it will be the first of it's kind.

I've never seen any actual result come from an online petition.

Good luck though.

3. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

I know what you mean - I'm just hoping that maybe if 50,000 or so signatures get added that eventually Apple will atleast include the cable that includes both FireWire and USB. Oh BTW the cable that include both retails for the exact same $19 dollars as an individual USB of FireWire cable does.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Perhaps you should clarify that Apple add back the firewire cable. But as a petition, it's pretty lame to ask for an extra $19 accessory even if the company decides not to include it. Good luck though.

5. jmurray macrumors member

Hardly. If you want to use FW, buy the cable! Various threads have been over this countless times.

The math: $199 [new unit] + $19 [FW 400 cable] = $218. Still less than the old price of $249. And you're getting more than twice the battery life and the choice to not buy the cable OR power adapter. It floors me that folks don't understand and have problems accepting this. Apple is not "disgracing" anybody. Additionally, the user base is so large now that a significant majority of new iPod buyers already own one that came with a FW cable. Why pay for another?

Lastly, the only disgraces going on here are petitions and complaints against the very company you adore.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Please Clarify...

Why is using the USB 2.0 cable instead a problem? Does it do something differently or is this protest a matter of principle, because it appears to make a lot of sense from a business stand-point.

7. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Yeah, this has been under discussion in so many threads. jayscheuerle, it is more a matter of principle as far as I can tell from at least the petition originator, macrumors member iGary, though FW is technically superior for transferring large amounts of data. Its peak burst rate is lower, but it can sustain higher transfer rates over extended periods of time, as is my understanding.

No, I have not signed it myself.

8. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I doubt the real world speed difference in day to day use (not filling it up for the first time) is notable. How about the fact that asking Apple to include a firewire cable as well cuts into their bottom line? This petition wants to take money out of Apple's pocket on principle? Sounds selfish to me. Enjoy the price-cut...

I wonder if the better battery life is purely from a new physical battery or if there is some better power management going on in the form that a software update could provide...

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

So if some want the FW cable and want a petition to have Apple include this have you bought a printer lately? No usb cable there and that means you have to buy one for that so where is a petition for that? There's none since we (the consumer) have accepted this. I don't want the cost passed on just so I can get a cable, since I can find one pretty cheap anyway.

10. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

That would be fine if Apple chose to add no cables whatsoever, but they are still adding USB cables, when Mac users who bought a computer 2 plus years ago, did not have USB 2.0 technology because Apple wouldn't add it.

And as for the excuse of the prices being lower - they are not lower because they replaced a firewire with a usb cable - they are the same price at least at the Apple store. They are lower, because Apple couldn't justifibly sell the exact same product it released a year ago at the same price when technolgoy is constantly improving.

Bottom line Apple is ignoring Mac users (especially ones with older computers) to satisfy pc owners who may not have firewire. Apple should include the cable that costs the same amount that has both USB and firewire, or at least give people who buy the product from the Apple store a choice. You can have your iPod engraved from the Apple store, but you can't choose to have a FireWire cable thrown in instead of a USB 2.0 cable because your older Mac doesn't have USB 2.0. That is a crime!!!!!!

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I understand your point but...

What about the PC world and its lack of support on products for the Mac?
    Such as mp3 players (Sony mini disc) that work like crap or don't support the Mac making it impossible to use on my Mac. Not to bring up the fact some camcorders that someone can pay $450-$1000 and have issues with unsupported drivers unless they use it with a PC and it's supplied software. They give software packages with certain ones but Mac users have to pay for that because it comes with it, also since they don't say hey if you don't need this software how would you like to save $50-$90. The companies just pass the cost on to everyone and thats what I don't find fair.
    I think we are saying the same things ;)

12. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

I don't like other companies doing it either, but when Apple has resorted to favoring the PC world over the Mac world it has gone too far.

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Macs still run on PowerPC chips. That's favoring the Mac world, DEFIANTLY, compared to favoring the PC world.

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Precisely, you people are blowing this WAY out of proportion. You are acting like Apple has decided to go x86 and drop the Mac OS and develop iLife, Production Suite, etc. solely for Windows. It's god business sense, and really doesn't effect but a small percentage of users. I can guarantee you that Apple did plenty of market research before they made this switch and determined that this would bring more positives than negatives to the iPod product line.

15. jmurray macrumors member

I've been using Apple products a long time; personally after the Mac was introduced in '84, and in schools for years before that. We don't use these products because they are cheaper or are always compatible with the rest of the computing world or because of fashion. We use them because they work. Period. The fact that most of the time Apple products are seamlessly integrated into ergonomic workflow, are designed from passion up, and have superlative aesthetics are frosting on the cake. With the iPod, Apple has again entered an era they once enjoyed in the late 70's early 80's with desktops when they had an emormous marketshare thanks to educational facilities adopting their technology. They screwed that up because of immaturity, pride, and selfishness. They refused to succumb to anyone getting in on their turf, or licensing any of their technology to third party companies. Because of that pride, they were left in the dust. Jobs is older and wiser this time around. He's not about to let that happen again.

This is a colossal metaphor for Apple's new business model. Call the absence of a FW cable and the presence of USB 2.0 cable what you will, even call it appeasement to PC users, but get used to it because after 20+ years, Jobs & Co. have finally figured out how to make superior products that have mass appeal and mass distribution.

Question: Did you think the original iPod Mini for $249 was a fair price? If you answer yes, then once again, do the math. The new unit + an additional purchase of a FW cable and power adapter total the same price. Apple hasn't changed a thing EXCEPT giving you longer battery life and a choice. If you answer no, then your commentary invalidates itself because you weren't happy with the first deal, how on earth can you rightly complain when the second deal is even better?

No crime, just frustration that you don't own current technology. They've been offering USB 2.0 since mid 2003. It's time for an upgrade.

16. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

When I bought my first iPod it wasn't compatible with my iMac G3 cos my iMac didn't have any firewire ports(and thats a old computer), so I had to go by another cable to put songs on my iPod. If apple had included the usb cable then i wouldn't of had to do that. I don't think apple is satisfying PC users, they are just making it simpler.

Peace

DjVoTeZ

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Exactly, it's kinda sucky for some people, but it's not a huge deal.

I bought an adapter for my car for $11 from Newegg, and it has a fw connector on it, so I'm set. Other companies sell similar items. Otherwise, it's no big deal to just buy the Apple cable for $19. Yeah, it does kinda suck for those with USB 1, I will admit that. And considering this could have been a way for Apple to get people to use fw more, it's also a little sad for them that they have to give in to the PC users desires. But it makes good business sense, so I understand why they did it.

Just buy the darn cable, or buy something else. Or use USB. It's just an mp3 player people. You can still buy a regular iPod with a fw connector. Or buy a new Mac. Or course Apple wants you to upgrade, they're a business after all. Why do I have the feeling that a lot of those complaining had no intention of buying a new iPod anyway? If you can't afford a $19 cable that most of the people buying iPods won't even use, you probably won't be spending hundreds of dollars on an mp3 player.

Sucks about the charger though. I'm going to have to buy one of those. Guess I'll use that $150 I'd save by buying a new 60 GB iPod photo without that dock and case I'd never use. ;)

18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Any idea of what the sales split is for all iPods between Mac and Wintel users?

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Your iMac G3 didn't have USB 2.0 either...

20. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Wait, wait, wait...does this mean that a power adapter is not included with the new iPods? How the heck am I supposed to charge the thing?

Edit: I guess not. I checked Apple's website:

In the Box
    - iPod mini 4GB or 6GB
    - Earbud headphones
    - Belt clip
    - USB 2.0 cable
    - Getting Started guide
    - CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows and electronic documentation

This is bullcrap. Who wants to have to plug their iPod into the computer to charge it?!? This is the worst "upgrade" ever. I don't care if there was a $50 price cut--everyone knew the iPod mini was overpriced anyway and was expecting it to go to $200--well now it, but by the time you buy the power adapter and Firewire cable, it's back up to the price it was at more than a year ago. I really wish I had bought before this "upgraded", ugly model came out.

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Via your USB 2.0 or Firewire connection.

22. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

It seems like everyone in this forum is against me and has a BS reason for most of it just to back up Apple. Believe I love Apple, but I'm going to call them out when they make a mistake - and this is two in a row

1) iLife 05 was not even close to ready to be shipped - just check the Apple discussion boards at all of the problems people are having.

2) Taking out Firewire.

Anyway I am in no ways saying not to include USB, I think its great to add for PC users. However, no one - not a single person has refuted my claim that Apple should simply add the cable that has both FireWire and USB 2.0 and retails for the exact same price as each individual USB and FireWire cable. Why can't we have a simple option.

BTW my computer does have USB 2.0 - it's the principle and it's not right!

23. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

That's not that bad... i mean only the mini and shuffle come whit usb only the rest got USB and Firewire in the box

24. jmurray macrumors member

Are you suggesting one cable that does both—a single proprietary iPod [dock] connector on one end and then the cable "y's" to two connectors, one USB and one FW? Don't know of such a beast.

25. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

the ipod photo doesn't include firewire either.