Firewire port lost power???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nargot, Feb 12, 2004.

1. nargot macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've been writing alot lately and have been using my iPod to transfer my documents between home and work.

I left the computer for 30 mins to watch tv tonight and came back to my computer and my ipod had turned off. So i tried to turn it back on and it gave me the dead battery icon, which i thought was weird as it was plugged into the computer as it always was.

By now i was a bit scared because all my days changes were on the ipod and word "disapeared" any temp file as i guess they were on the ipod, including the open document. So i did some google searchs and tried everything like reseting etc, then i tried the AC adapter for the first time and it started to charge.

SO the next logical thing was to try my other firewire port, so i shifted my 3 (powered) drives to the "dead" port and they work, and the ipod charges off the other port.

This is a bit weird because the "dead" port still works for powered items. 1 port has lost power and the other hasn't, am i going crazy??? Has this ever happened to anyone else???

my specs
    iMac DV G3 400
    OS 10.3.3
    (port 1) 2 FW HDD, 1 FW CD-RW
    (port 2) ipod 3rd gen

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Firewire port lost power???

urm you saying you got two firewire hard drives and one cd burner using one port?
    yeesh.
    mebbe your problem is that the iPod battery cant charge because the other devices are using up the power. after all the iPod charges itself using the fw port. try unplugging the other devices and trying again.

edit: are you an adc member? i thought 10.3.3 was a developer seed.

3. laserbeahm macrumors member

Was the computer turned off? If the iPod is connected to the dock while the computer is turned off, the iPod will lose power rapidly.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This is a "common" problem that i have observed with iPods and all CRT iMacs.... sometimes the iPod just doesn't make the connection with the iMac. I have yet to find any fix for it, other than time... it seems to start working again within a (huge) timeframe of 2 hours to 10 days. (Go Figure)

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>crazzyeddie

Of course you can still fry FW ports.

6. nargot thread starter macrumors regular

At the time the ipod lost power the computer was awake (screen off), the ipod was the only device on the firewire port, the other FW port only had one HDD on (other two devices turned off).

I switched the hdd to the FW that the ipod was not working on and it is working.

switched the ipod to other FW port and it fully charged (and i left the computer on sleep... when i was asleep)

If i have overloaded a fuse, just to be on the safe side what i'm going to do is, buy another ipod FW cable and only charge via the AC adapter.

>edit: are you an adc member? i thought 10.3.3 was a developer seed.

i must have been tired cause i don't have 10.3.3... it made sense at the time, i'm sure :D

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

hehe. i guess you just meant 10.3