Firewire Storage LaCie or Maxtor?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JakeM3tz, Dec 7, 2003.

1. JakeM3tz macrumors newbie

i want to get some extra storage for my iBook G3 and was looking into firewire drives. Anyone have suggestions? what about cobra for anyone have some other good brands?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i have a maxtor. what you should really look for is drive speed. the fastest external drives will have a 7200 rpm drives, hopefully with a 8mb cache.

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

fantom external fw drives are known to be the fastest. for best results though buy a firewire HD enclosure and put the fastest drive you can find in it. the western digital speacial editions are fast 7200rpm drives with 8MB cache and seem to be a favorite of hard drive reviewers. I have one and it smokes even on my towers ata 33 bus. other word computing is a great place to get anything firewire. http://eshop.macsales.com/Static_Pages/index.cfm

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I second the recommendation for the OWC firewire drives...they've got the best prices, give really good service, and are always rated *very* highly when reviewed. Their newer FW800 drives are great since they have FW400, FW800 and USB2 connections. If you use the link through XLR8YourMac you'll find a few additional discounts too.....oh yeah!