Firewire(?) weirdness

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bedawyn, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Okay, my computer worked fine last night. And it woke itself up fine this morning, as it's supposed to. A bit later, I heard the speakable alarm voice -- I didn't actually listen to it, but I assumed it was the usual "Mail is too dumb to figure out that it's still dialing before giving up" message that I get every morning.

But by the time I drug myself out of bed to look at it, the screen had been filled with a dark blue background and a large orange symbol. I think it's the Firewire symbol -- a circle with a solid bar and two dashed bars radiating from it? (It's too early in the morning to go find pics.) At any rate, it's one of the symbols for devices I don't use. The symbol was floating, so at first I assumed it was something from the .Mac screensavers -- a strange and alarming choice, but I don't make them. However, the screen wouldn't wake from it, and I hadn't been snoozing long enough to put the hard disk to sleep. I had to reboot, and when I did, I couldn't find that image in the .Mac slideshow.

It's working fine now, but I don't like random weirdness, as it tends to mean problems later. Anyone have an idea what was going on here?
  2. Marble macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    Do you do hallucinogenic drugs immediately before/after sleeping? Do you believe in God? Do you have clinical psychosis?

If so, any combination of these things could explain your problem. If not, I guess I could see your computer do that if it was in Firewire Target Disk Mode, but I've never used it so it's just a guess (you should have to reboot to get that, anyway.

Maybe you should get your head examined or the morning coffee mix analyzed, because as they say... It's probably a user error ;).