firewire

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by applelover, Jul 14, 2004.

1. applelover macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    does anyone know if it is possible to make a small network between my G4 and powerbook G4 using firewire??

thanks,

jay :confused:

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yes if they both have Panther. Or you could just boot one of them int Target Disk Mode (Hold down T on startup) and it will appear as a firewire hard drive on the other system. Depends on what you are going to do with it really.

3. applelover thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the fast reply!
    yep, they both use panther, i've lost my ethernet cabe, and want to file share, print share, internet share... but i only have a firewire cable in my box of bits!. I take it firewire would be alot faster than ethernet?

jay

4. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

there is a way to use firwire in a similar fashion as ethernet. im not sure how, but i know there is a website with a guide, try googling it. sorry to not have a link handy, i dont have a lot of time to look atm. good luck!

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

6. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

yea thats the one i was tlaking about heh... Duff-Man rocks... Oh Yeah!

7. applelover thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    thanks for your help, and thanks for the link duff-man! i'll let you know how i get on!

jay

8. applelover thread starter macrumors newbie

well i've just connected the two macs with the firewire cable and the network status on powerbook says that i am connected to the internet via firewire, but as soon as i click on safari, my home page, or any website cant be found!

any ideas??

thanks for all your help!

jay

9. itsumo macrumors member

If you fancy buying a book, try "OSX Panther: the missing manual". That has a section on networking over firewire. I'll try and post it up when I get home if I remember and if you're still having problems.
    Its made a great reference for me so far - there hasn't been a problem it couldn't answer. You can probably find it all on the web for free, but then I'm a programmer and I don't feel comfortable with anything until I've bought a chunky manual...

10. applelover thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mate,
    that would be great if you could post it up for me, i'm still having trouble trying to print share, internet share... i'm going to pop into town in a sec and see if i can find that book, sounds like it could help me out alot!

thanks again

jay

11. itsumo macrumors member

Well, the steps are in a slightly different order, but it's almost the same. The only thing it suggests doing differently seems to be under "Network Port Configurations", it says to drag the "FireWire" configuration (or whatever you called it) to the top as they're used in the order they're listed there. But you probably figured that anyway.

Hope you managed to get it sorted. It should be fairly straightforward as long as both ports are configured and you've enabled internet sharing, which your network status said you have. Don't know what else to suggest - I'm fairly new to this, hence the book! It managed to walk me pretty quickly through file sharing with Windows, so I reckon it can walk me through anything...

12. applelover thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your help itsumo, i really appreciate it, i’ve managed to order a copy of the book you mentioned, so i’ll have plenty of light reading before i go to bed!

thanks again mate.

jay :)