Firewire400 & 200 GB HD won't mount

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BoyRacer, Mar 27, 2004.

1. BoyRacer macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a problem for which I would appreciate some feedback.

I have two new Western Digital WD Caviar 200 GB hard drives; I bought them to put in two firewire 400 external enclosures. Previosuly, I had a Western Digital 120 GB hard disks in each of these FireWire400 enclosures.

I cannot get the 200 GB hard disks to mount when installed in the firewire enclosures.

Steps I took:

- removed my 1GHz G4 Powermac's internal drives
    - installed the two 200 GB HDs in the G4
    - booted from Panther Install Disc 1, ran Disk Utility
    - the drives show up:I formatted them without ANY difficulty
    - put the G4 1GHz Powermac 200 GB HD in my external Firewire 400 enclosure
    - the 200 GB HD will not mount
    - it WILL show up in Disk Utility after a several minutes of scanning
    - running verify at this point results in this error:
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

I have no idea what could be wrong. Why would the drives show up when installed internally but not when installed in the firewire cases?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Peter

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Check the jumpers on the drives and make sure they're set to Master. Sometimes now days new drives are set to CS or Cable Select so people don't have to worry about it, which could be why your PowerMac picked them up and the FW enclosure did after a while. On FireWire drives they need to be set to Master in order for them to work properly.

If that doesn't work then keep it in Master if not already there and then put them back in your PowerMac and partition/format the drives and then see if it works.

3. jtown macrumors 6502

The firewire->IDE bridge probably can't handle large drives. Post the brand and model number of your firewire case and someone will probably be able to check the specs and see if this is the case.

If you don't mind losing the data on the drives, try deleting the partition info and creating new partitions with the drives in the firewire cases. If you can only use approximately 137 gigs with the drives in the firewire cases, that would confirm my theory.